High mileage Cobra

tgasTT

Established Member
Does 55000 miles(88000 kms) seem alot for an 04? One for sale locally for $25k(CAN$/$24k US$)...Only thing I don't like is, it was rust proofed in the engine bay. Any one attempt to remove rust proofing?

Juruense

Banned
No, that mileage is not too bad. If the alternator is original you are at risk of having to replace it. Other than that you should be good if it was maintained properly.

I seriously doubt you will get the rustproof crap out of the engine bay.

03zycobra

Established Member
That's alot of miles for an 04. 24k is a bit high for the amount of miles and rust proofing is the PITA to remove.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
no clue about rust proofing, mine is an 03 with 36k,., so a year newer with 55k seems like a ton :eek:

yellowgt02

Established Member
I would keep looking. I just brought one up from Nevada, and I paid 25k for it and only had 36000 miles on it, and a bunch of mods too.

TrickStang37

Established Member
thats not bad mileage at all. high mileage is 100k+. 55k is good for an 04, the 09's are just around the corner. that's only about 11k a year.

BWEST3

Banned
mines an 04 with 1600 :D so it feels like a ton to me.. but its not that bad.. i have a 01 GT too that has 72K

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I would keep looking. I just brought one up from Nevada, and I paid 25k for it and only had 36000 miles on it, and a bunch of mods too.

I always thought mods brought down the value of the car for the most part. :shrug: I know there are exceptions, but I would rather pay more for a car that was stock than a car with a KB and risk having a bad tune or something done incorrectly. That's just me I guess. It's the same reason that I don't let anyone touch my car. There are too many people that do things half-assed just to say their car is faster. I'd rather KNOW it's done right because I did it or someone that I trust did the work.

i think $19-20k would be a fair deal.

HAHA, You're freaking crazy! I just saw a black terminator that you could tell was beat to sh*t with 66k get sold for a little over $22k. I've had offers of $25k for mine and I have 54k miles on it.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I got my immaculate '03 10th with 24k miles for 25k which IMO was a VERY good deal. I'd say offer the seller around 23k and see what they say. 55k miles isn't super high but it's not going to sell for a premium like lower mile cars. As far as the rustproofing, I'm not familiar with it.

tgasTT

Established Member
Thanks for the input....I'm thinking its a bit high too, my 90 fox has the same mileage, and that's not bad for 18 years. I can't get over the rust proofed engine bay, I think I'll pass. Not too many 03-04 Cobras for sale up here, so my search continues.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
I always thought mods brought down the value of the car for the most part. :shrug: I know there are exceptions, but I would rather pay more for a car that was stock than a car with a KB and risk having a bad tune or something done incorrectly. That's just me I guess. It's the same reason that I don't let anyone touch my car. There are too many people that do things half-assed just to say their car is faster. I'd rather KNOW it's done right because I did it or someone that I trust did the work.

HAHA, You're freaking crazy! I just saw a black terminator that you could tell was beat to sh*t with 66k get sold for a little over $22k. I've had offers of $25k for mine and I have 54k miles on it.

hey, i got the same miles on my 03 54,000.still runs strong!

daneyb

04 Compt Orange
Established Member
I bought mine last week. I paid 26k delivered to my house. It is a 04 with 33k. I got a call last night at 4am telling me to look out my window. I peeked through the blinds and this is what I saw.
04Cobra034.gif

04Cobra035.gif

I got the car from a dealer in Chicago. Does anyone know anything about the history of the car?

Thanks

Redwing

Established Member
Hey ToasTT. Don't forget, you are in Canada and most of the respondents are in the U.S. Thye paid $15,000 less in the first place for our cars. The dollars they quote are irrelevant to us.
I have an 04 with 68000KM (I'm in Toronto) and I think it's legitimately worth about $30,000 CDN.
The car you are looking at has to turn you on. If you have reservations, don't bother. And yes, removing rustproofing from the engine compartment is a huge pain. Look for another one.

03sm3341

Established Member
My car was hit by the rust proofers gun too man that craps every where and a PITA to get off. Luckly it sits so low no one can tell that craps all over the bottom of it.

Users who are viewing this thread