High Mileage 05-09 GT Reliability?

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
So I may be trading my 1996 Cobra in on a higher mileage S197. I'm just wondering how many of you guys have higher mileage stockish 05-09 GTs still running strong? This one im looking at is a 2007 GT auto with 150,000 miles. Stock other than mufflers. What are common problems to go wrong with these cars? If I do trade for it, it will be replacing my Cobra as my daily
51lHDpm.jpg

Last edited:

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I'd like to know problems as well. I had a 2011 GT but the MT82 has me so disgusted the new ones are out for me. I'm looking at a 2009 premium with 30,000 miles with the 5 speed.

cpotts13

Established Member
Spark plugs! They are 2 piece and terrible to change. They almost always break in the head. However, at 150k hopefully they have already been addressed..

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd like to know problems as well. I had a 2011 GT but the MT82 has me so disgusted the new ones are out for me. I'm looking at a 2009 premium with 30,000 miles with the 5 speed.

The 3650 is crap. I had a Liberty built 3650 and it was barely better. Swap a t56 magnum into your 2011 and save yourself the headache.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I had an 05 GT and can list a few that i encountered while owning it and working at a dealer.

~05-07 spark plugs. 12 mm and two piece is a nightmare. Break off all the time. 07-09 changed to 14mm plug which did not have the issues.
~Front wheel bearings are shit. Wear very easily and cause all kinds of brake and tire wear. Check them often and replace in sets.
~05-2010 front GT brakes are junk. 12" and undersized for a 3600lb vehicle. Find a 2011 13" front brake kit and swap it all over. Rotors, caliper brackets and pads. Another option is the 4 piston 14" front brembo brake kit off the GT500 or through FRPP. Can also grab the front Boss 302 brakes(same as the GT500 kit).
~05-06 driver side door handles wear oddly enough and will get stuck in the open position. There was a TSB to fix this which had new guts for the door.
~3 link rear end is VERY prone to NVH.
~3650 is a piece of shit transmission. Horrible remote location shifter makes shifting a real chore.
~2 piece driveshaft that is heavy as hell and clunks like no other.
~Shaker radio is junk. Head units fail all the time and cost $2500. Go aftermarket when it craps out.
~300hp 3 valve isnt bad and responds to bolt ons quite well but the VCT system can be a bit of a pain if the solenoids or oil control valve bodies clog up.
~PCM controlled alternator can be a pain and cause phantom CEL's with odd codes.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
According to the carfax, the alternator was replaced at only 35,000 miles and the pcm was reflashed at the same time for some reason. But the spark plugs were replaced by the car lots mechanic a few months ago so I won't have to worry about those for awhile lol.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
I had an 05 GT and can list a few that i encountered while owning it and working at a dealer.

~05-07 spark plugs. 12 mm and two piece is a nightmare. Break off all the time. 07-09 changed to 14mm plug which did not have the issues.
~Front wheel bearings are shit. Wear very easily and cause all kinds of brake and tire wear. Check them often and replace in sets.
~05-2010 front GT brakes are junk. 12" and undersized for a 3600lb vehicle. Find a 2011 13" front brake kit and swap it all over. Rotors, caliper brackets and pads. Another option is the 4 piston 14" front brembo brake kit off the GT500 or through FRPP. Can also grab the front Boss 302 brakes(same as the GT500 kit).
~05-06 driver side door handles wear oddly enough and will get stuck in the open position. There was a TSB to fix this which had new guts for the door.
~3 link rear end is VERY prone to NVH.
~3650 is a piece of shit transmission. Horrible remote location shifter makes shifting a real chore.
~2 piece driveshaft that is heavy as hell and clunks like no other.
~Shaker radio is junk. Head units fail all the time and cost $2500. Go aftermarket when it craps out.
~300hp 3 valve isnt bad and responds to bolt ons quite well but the VCT system can be a bit of a pain if the solenoids or oil control valve bodies clog up.
~PCM controlled alternator can be a pain and cause phantom CEL's with odd codes.
a buddy is buying a 2006 gt with all bolt-ons including cams.so this post helps a lot.:banana:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Pick up some budget LCA's from BMR. Check the UCA and rubber bushing in the axle. Kelly at BMR could probably give you good tips for S197's with your mileage. The stock struts and shocks are probably toast.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I've put almost 3000 miles on the car since I made this post, so far no major problems besides a popping noise in the front when I hit bumps and the pinion seal is leaking so I need to get that fixed soon. The trans has slipped a few times (like 3 times shifting from 2nd-3rd very minimally) so I had it flushed and a new filter put in and so far no problems. I have a set of low mileage 2008 GT500 shocks struts and strut mounts along with new sway bar end links and outer tie rod ends sitting in my room waiting to get them installed soon. Hopefully that'll fix my popping problem

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I've put almost 3000 miles on the car since I made this post, so far no major problems besides a popping noise in the front when I hit bumps and the pinion seal is leaking so I need to get that fixed soon. The trans has slipped a few times (like 3 times shifting from 2nd-3rd very minimally) so I had it flushed and a new filter put in and so far no problems. I have a set of low mileage 2008 GT500 shocks struts and strut mounts along with new sway bar end links and outer tie rod ends sitting in my room waiting to get them installed soon. Hopefully that'll fix my popping problem

Check s197forum classified for any other suspension parts you are looking for. Guys are always demodding and posting good deals up.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Yeah I actually got the shocks struts and strut mounts from a guy on there that saw my WTB ad. Saved me a lot of money lol now I just want to buy springs and an adjustable panhard bar and have it all installed

88lincoln

Established Member
Is it possible to tell what size the spark plugs are without removing them? I have an 07 GT and so far the spark plugs are fine but if 07 was a changeover year for plugs it might be nice to know before the time comes.

BMR Tech 2

Looking at the coil pack boot or coil pack engineering number should tell you. 3L3E coils are the old style, 8L3E are the newer style. That being said, you may want to look at the boot instead. Brown boots are indicative of newer plugs, black boots are older plugs. The only reason I suggest that is because the coil packs themselves can be used on any 05-10 4.6, as long as the correct boots are used. For example, I swapped to the newer style heads on my car and reused my early style coils. I just picked up 8 new brown boots and I was on my way!

Tony Reed

have 08 gt 60+k on it runs like a devil just starting to do mods now. really strong runner actually im trying to find out if I can get a ghost tune

Last edited:

83-88T-Bird Guy

have 08 gt 60+k on it runs like a devil just starting to do mods now. really strong runner actually im trying to find out if I can get a ghost tune

I have never heard of a ghost tune on a 3v.
Some guy in PR figured out how to do "ghost cams" as seen in this video.
I believe he may have the only 3v with something like that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFCHwmTgZ7w

Last edited:

83-88T-Bird Guy

I bought my first 3v in Feb. of this year.

Other than the typical door panel sagging, it has been a decent car so far.
Not sure how many miles the car has because the title shows an odometer discrepancy plus it only shows 36,xxx on the digital odo. Probably has alot more miles than that. It was a rebuilt wreck.
I believe it has a V-6 dash. (it only has a gas level and water temp gauge)

The car runs decent for factory 3.31 gears and stock 5 spd automatic transmission.
My best so far is 13.17 @ 103 weighing 3500 lbs with me in it.

resized%20dr%20side%20with%20lowering%20springs_zpsroiewonw.jpg

Last edited:

07s197gt

Established Member
I bought a 3 valve last december. I've only been able to put 2000 miles on it since due to weather and it not being my daily driver. When I bought it, it had 114k miles on it. It needed an axel seal, 2 ball joints and it has the separator plate issue (doesn't hurt the car, just annoying. will get it fixed soon). The two front tires are also out of round but my mechanic told me the Pirellis are just crappy and this happens to some of them regardless of what vehicle they're on. It runs great and now that the weather is better I drive it more than my other car. It also has an output shaft seal leak but three mechanics looked at it and told me don't worry about it as it's barley leaking(no puddles even when parked for a week). I'm going to get it fixed when I get the separator plate fixed. Something super annoying about this car is to check the transmission fluid, you have to go underneath the car where the transmission is due to it not having a dipstick:shrug:

BMR Tech 2

I have never heard of a ghost tune on a 3v.
Some guy in PR figured out how to do "ghost cams" as seen in this video.
I believe he may have the only 3v with something like that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFCHwmTgZ7w

He didn't figure out a ghost cam tune lol. He either installed cams and did a before and after, or the car is running like garbage. Ghost cam tunes only work on Ti-VCT cars. The computer needs to be able to control the valve overlap by actuating the exhaust and intake cams. It's possible because the cams can be moved independently of each other, it won't work on the 3V because it's SOHC. The only way to change valve timing events on the 3V is to change the cams.

Users who are viewing this thread