High Mileage 05-09 GT Reliability?

07s197gt

Established Member
Oh and a little bit of water gets in on the passenger side when it rains. This is a very common issue with these cars. When you look at one, check the inside of the panel in the passenger footwell. Make sure their is no moister in there. That's where the smart junction box is. I need to replace my drain plugs under the cowl with the ones that require the use of a heat gun. I've been lazy and just put a cover on the car before it's gonna rain as I drive my other vehicle when it's rainy out. Once this becomes my only car, I'll have to fix it. There's other sources where water gets in the vehicle too like the grommet in the passenger footwell, one of the big drain plugs under the cowl gets full of debris (happened to mine and a lot of water got in, fixed it and only a tiny bit of water gets in now which is why I think I have to replace the small plugs) and the lining on the door.

DallaStang

Established Member
My stupid head unit won't let me pull any of my CD's out or accept new ones, and just keeps sounding like its changing CD's constantly. Stops after about 5 minutes, can't wait to pull that PoS out.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If you get annoyed with the TR-3650, the TR-6060 is a good swap. Most drive shafts will need to be shortened 3/4". Good swap candidates pop up on here fairly regularly.

massmustang

Established Member
One common problem I've experienced as you increase power, shifting to 2nd and/or 3rd gear while hitting higher RPMs (read as 5K+) you sometimes getting blocked from shifting into gear. I've read stronger/stiffer motor mounts, MGW shifters and/or CHE k-member braces WITH torque limiters help resolve this. It only seems to happen to me when the car is wicked hot (after driving through the summer heat extended periods) and this when I had modest power (4.56 gears, CAI, tune and CMDPs).

I'm working on a Boss 5.3 stroker now and using billet motor mounts that lower the engine 1/2". So I'll see how it runs with the extra torque and the stock 5-speed. Next step might be an MGW and aluminum drive shaft, but I'm still thinking about the k-member brace with torque limiters. Plus, the T56 Magnum (or a TR6060) swap is on my list long-term. Which drives me to think about waiting on the MGW and driveshaft since I'd have to swap them out.

Users who are viewing this thread