High HP Stick Shift Drag Radial Discussion

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well I figured this would be the most appropriate place for this..

Right now I'm at 890rwhp 680rwtq on my car. It's a six speed car. I have a SRA etc etc. Built to handle whatever I want, and the suspension to support whatever I want. (just need a cage lol)

I'm running a 315/30/18 Hoosier drag radial on my HRE's and I've done quite well with it imo, given that this is my first time ever drag racing.

I'm looking at switching to a 15" rear wheel but I want to keep a radial tire. Mainly for now because I can't do the front setup just yet. I've been looking at the Hoosier DR in a 325/50/15. I should be able to drop the hammer quicker vise slipping it and I won't lose my MPH and I'll be able to keep my front wheel setup for now.

Has any one had any luck running this tire in a High HP stick shift car? I did a ton of searching last night and I can't find to much. I was going to run a MT ET drag 26x10 Stiff wall with a tube, but figured I would try out the radial and see how it works.

I have the MPH to go 9's on the 18" setup I have now and that's the goal before I switch the rears out.

Thanks for any advice or insight.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I have no experience with the Hoosier DR's. So I can't help you there.
But I have ran a M/T et street R(20psi). Put over 1000 miles on them this year. And they still look and work great.

Like I said before I have to really try and spin them. I haven't lost a race this year do to loss of traction with the 275/60/15.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I have around 720/610 at the wheels and I still haven’t got my suspension dialed in just right yet but I have MT ET street SS in 275/50/15 and my last pass at the track dead hooked dropping the clutch at 4200 and bogged a little bit so I’m gonna try to dump it at 4800-5000 and see what happens but for a radial those tires are great i run around 18psi

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Setting up the suspension and learning how/when to feather/dump the clutch, matter a little more then tire selection.

I am experiencing 740lbs of RW torque @2400 rpms and I can't for the life of me keep it consistent. So I am going auto, lol. Hey some guys can make the manual work and I am not 1 of them.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Im piecing parts together for a 6R80 swap

Nice. I have everything sitting on the shelf except the clutches,intermediate shaft, and the trans controller. Figure 2k so far with 2400 or so left still yet to purchase. Gonna stick with the stock torque converter for next year. With the 3.4l and see how it goes.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I’m running a 3.4 too I don’t race enough to figure everything out with a stick car, the auto will make everything more consistent may swap to a single turbo at the same time too

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Yeah I am just out on the weekends and I do say NO a lot..

I have learned not to bit off more then I can chew. So this year auto swap. Then next year(Winter) I will go 82/85 with a SS kit from you know who. But 1 thing at a time.

Edit: Too A-holy sounding

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I have no experience with the Hoosier DR's. So I can't help you there.
But I have ran a M/T et street R(20psi). Put over 1000 miles on them this year. And they still look and work great.

Like I said before I have to really try and spin them. I haven't lost a race this year do to loss of traction with the 275/60/15.

Well that's good to know. Have you been to the track and try to launch from a dig?

I have a Magnum with the 2.97 1st and 3.73's in the back with my current 26" DR setup on a 18" rim it's working. That's with my Davis Technology traction control off as well.

I should go auto, but I'm not going to until I reach my goals with the six speed. It's challenging and I like that a lot. I went from road racing, and over 5yrs changed the car to a drag car. Within I'd say 15 passes I've done a 1.7 60ft, and a 10.3@140 with my best mph being 143. The car has a lot more in it and I know I can hit 9's with the 18's.

Any other feedback?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So that was my other option, I just didn't want to borrow a front setup from anyone. I mean I could, and I have multiple offers.. But was just curious if anyone had experience with the Hossier DR in that size..

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm of no help. But at that power level I personally would be looking into a auto.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I know, and there is a FB 1000rwhp+ auto waiting for me at the shop, but I don't have the money for it right now. The car needs a cage before the auto.

What’s the current setup in the front?

Another vote here for a slick in the rear, save the radial tires for an auto.

Current front tire setup is just my 18"HRE's with a KDW tire.. So a radial tire.

I have multiple friends that have said they'll let me use their front skinny setup whenever. I just don't want to be relying on them to use them.

I have a trailer, and truck, and the car sees maybe 10% street usage now.. I go and pick up my son from school now and again (when I'm not deployed) and maybe meet up with my friends at In and Out, but that's it. I don't street race anymore, and I do a 3rd gear hit now and again when it's safe to do so.

john11gt

Established Member
10% street duty?

Buy some skinnies for the front with a mickey Thompson sportsman s/r radial tire and run slicks.

Sell current wheels to offset cost.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Well that's good to know. Have you been to the track and try to launch from a dig?

I am going in Oct for the last event here for the year. Get some 1/8 times to compare to the auto swap next year. I do dig, and 20mph rolls only and shut it down by 140 or so.

I have a N2MB box 2-step set at 3000rpm. And again sometimes I come off so clean. And sometimes I don't, not a traction issue more of a bog from a clutch dump not a feather. At these HP levels all it's takes is a little mistake and it's over, your not catching up.

You have the means truck/trailer I would just go Bias ply. Main reason I didn't go BP is I drive it on the streets, into parking lots, alleys.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
10% street duty?

Buy some skinnies for the front with a mickey Thompson sportsman s/r radial tire and run slicks.

Sell current wheels to offset cost.

Right, so there is one of the problems. My HRE's have sentimental value to me.. So that part sucks. I could easily sell the offset the cost. I have some thinking to do it sounds like.

I am going in Oct for the last event here for the year. Get some 1/8 times to compare to the auto swap next year. I do dig, and 20mph rolls only and shut it down by 140 or so.

I have a N2MB box 2-step set at 3000rpm. And again sometimes I come off so clean. And sometimes I don't, not a traction issue more of a bog from a clutch dump not a feather. At these HP levels all it's takes is a little mistake and it's over, your not catching up.

You have the means truck/trailer I would just go Bias ply. Main reason I didn't go BP is I drive it on the streets, into parking lots, alleys.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm looking forward to hearing your results when you hit the track.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Right, so there is one of the problems. My HRE's have sentimental value to me.. So that part sucks. I could easily sell the offset the cost. I have some thinking to do it sounds like.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm looking forward to hearing your results when you hit the track.

Save up over the winter and buy a separate set of wheels, so you can keep the HREs.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Save up over the winter and buy a separate set of wheels, so you can keep the HREs.
That's the plan. There is more to it. I'm due to transfer in 2019.. I'll likely be staying in the bay area but selling my house and moving. I'm up a good bit of money on the house so I mean I'll have a lot of options if I take 10k from the house for the car lol. I shouldn't and likely wouldn't do that..

Saving lol. Something I try to do every month, but then 2 kids and a wife, and single income takes it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread