HIDs

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I'm about to order a set of HID's for my Cobra and have a few questions first. I'm pretty set on going with the DDM tuning ones. For those that have them, should I pay the extra $15 for the 55 watt kit or will the 35 be plenty? Do HID's in the fogs really help that much? I'm thinking about doing HID's in the headlights and find a white halogen bulb to put in the fogs because I can't see them helping a lot. If I do end up going with HID's for both, should I get the wiring harness? Also, has anyone found a solution for the ABS issues? And finally, I'm not very talented when it comes to working on cars. Would this be something a beginner could easily install in a couple of hours? Thanks for any input!!!

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
i just ordered some from VVME on Ebay. seen alot of people running them and for $52 Shipped i figured i would try it myself..

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
DDM will be a little more expensive but they offer a lifetime warranty which is nice IMO. They also have the 55 watt kits which is really what I'm looking at (my smoked headlights kill output.

uofipilot

Established Member
I have the DDM 55w kit in smoked headlights. Still can't see shit, although its better than the silverstars that I had in there.

As far as the ABS, I havn't found a real solution. If you turn the lights on before you turn the motor on, no light. If you turn the lights on after the car has been running for a few minutes, no light. If you turn the car on and then turn the lights on right away, that's when the light goes on. So it appears to me that the HIDs draw a ton of power when they turn on, and if you try to turn them on right after the starter has drawn energy to turn the car on, then you get a big enough dip where the ABS senses a problem. I could be totally wrong, but that's how it works in my car.

And as far as installation, a monkey on crack could do it. I removed the air filter and battery so I could mount the ballasts better, but its not required.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I have the DDM 55w kit in smoked headlights. Still can't see shit, although its better than the silverstars that I had in there.

As far as the ABS, I havn't found a real solution. If you turn the lights on before you turn the motor on, no light. If you turn the lights on after the car has been running for a few minutes, no light. If you turn the car on and then turn the lights on right away, that's when the light goes on. So it appears to me that the HIDs draw a ton of power when they turn on, and if you try to turn them on right after the starter has drawn energy to turn the car on, then you get a big enough dip where the ABS senses a problem. I could be totally wrong, but that's how it works in my car.

And as far as installation, a monkey on crack could do it. I removed the air filter and battery so I could mount the ballasts better, but its not required.

Great, just the info I needed! With the smoked housings, is the light still too bright for oncoming traffic? It's not about the money, $15 is nothing. I just don't wanna get something too bright.

uofipilot

Established Member
It wont be too bright. If you adjust them properly, you'll be fine. Hell with the smoked lenses, you'll be fine even if you stare right into them. If I get the chance, I'm gonna change to the housings that have the black background but still have clear lenses.

And for instalation, check the how-to section. Theres a good writeup in there that I followed.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i got mine a while back and i really like the look. my brother and i put them in and it wasn't that hard but we did have some trouble with power output. i had to run seperate wires from the battery to the headlights and foglights or else neither would work. they sell wiring kits that make it much simpler but i don't remember where they were, ebay maybe. having enough power to them is the most important thing or else the will just flicker and you'll feel like a retard, i did. the end result is awesome though.

DSCN1423.gif

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Yep, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get that accessory harness posted above. It's suppose to prevent the flickering due to high power draw.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
mine was due to not having enough i believe because when my battery started going dead during the install it started acting stupid again. i see your point though. mine flicker for about two seconds when i turn them on but then im set. i think mine are from the same company that makes bmw's. they were pretty cheap though.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
well thanks for clearing that one up quadcammer. they are from vvme. i just called my brother.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
you should get the 35 kit from hid guy.

Its more expensive because its better quality. Stop putting this cheap crap on your cars.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Why spend more when you don't have to? DDMtuning has great prices along with a lifetime warranty they stand behind (have only heard of a few people having trouble, and their issues were resolved under warranty).

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Can anyone point me to the "REAL" Hid Guy that's been talked about here? :shrug: I keep coming up with different websites.....The hid guy kit, HID The Guy, The HID Guy Place.:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread