Hi output starter?

elyrain

Established Member
I've notice that since my rebuild it seems as if my starter is working harder to turn my engine over, I don't think the battery is bad. Are there any performance starters out there for our cars?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
elyrain said:
I've notice that since my rebuild it seems as if my starter is working harder to turn my engine over, I don't think the battery is bad. Are there any performance starters out there for our cars?

I'm not up on your build but if you went to somthing that upped the compression it would stand to reason the starter is working harder. I'm not sure if there are any hi torque starters for these cars, I understand the stock one is pretty high as it is given all the extra hardware in the 4v engines.

I'd suggest looking into a hi output battery like an Optima before messing w/ the starter. Having that kind of battery is generaly a good move anyways so if you have to swap out the starter later it's not like you wasted money on the battery.

Edit: Be sure to check all of your cables too!

elyrain

Established Member
it doesn't start as "strong" as it did stock, but it seems that ever once in a while it tries to start on one certain cylinder and it barely cranks that cylinder over, then rotates fine. I think I'm going to do a compression test and see if one is higher then the rest or something.....

REX-RACER

Established Member
elyrain said:
it doesn't start as "strong" as it did stock, but it seems that ever once in a while it tries to start on one certain cylinder and it barely cranks that cylinder over, then rotates fine. I think I'm going to do a compression test and see if one is higher then the rest or something.....

Hmm, maybe check your plugs too? :shrug:

UCBeau

don't worry too much, my shit sometimes took a little longer but it wasn't a big deal, it never failed to start.

elyrain

Established Member
I finally figured out that it was a bad optima yellow top. It's only about 5 years old and everyone I talk to says it's the first one they've seen go bad. Got a new battery and it starts like a champ now...

REX-RACER

Established Member
elyrain said:
I finally figured out that it was a bad optima yellow top. It's only about 5 years old and everyone I talk to says it's the first one they've seen go bad. Got a new battery and it starts like a champ now...

Interesting, wouldn't have guessed that either. Does your car spend time in extreme conditions like hot & cold?

elyrain

Established Member
REX-RACER said:
Interesting, wouldn't have guessed that either. Does your car spend time in extreme conditions like hot & cold?

Nope, 72 deg here in sunny san diego. It gets driven just about every day too.

The only thing that can explain it going bad was about 3 years ago I had a 200 amp alt pushing about 15 volts. Now it's back to the stock alt. The optima website says they are not good for over 13.8. :shrug:

The battery would charge, but if not driven for a couple days it looses the charge. BUT still had plenty of juice to run the acc, it just wouldn't turn over.

Last edited:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I wouldn't worry about it unless it is really struggling. When I snapped my clutch cable and I couldn't disengage the clutch I drove the car back across town to where I could work on it and every time I had to stop along the way I would slide the shifter in to neutral as the RPMs decreased, stop, turn the car off, put it in first and start it to get it rolling again. If the starter is strong enough to get my car rolling from a dead stop in first gear yours should have no trouble turning the engine over.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
You can use a truck V10 starter, as it is higher torque than a V8 unit.
One wire end terminal will need to be changed though,
which is no biggie.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
I wouldn't worry about it unless it is really struggling. When I snapped my clutch cable and I couldn't disengage the clutch I drove the car back across town to where I could work on it and every time I had to stop along the way I would slide the shifter in to neutral as the RPMs decreased, stop, turn the car off, put it in first and start it to get it rolling again. If the starter is strong enough to get my car rolling from a dead stop in first gear yours should have no trouble turning the engine over.

I cracked up the first time I saw this done.:lol: A friend drove his little Honda CVCC (showing my age) into a deep puddle. The car stalled. I wasn't about to get out to push it. If we would have opened the doors, water would have come in! So he just put it in first and turned the key. The car just crawled out of the puddle! Then I used the trick in my '91 5.0 when I broke my clutch cable like you did. Works like a charm as long as your battery & starter are in decent condition.

Users who are viewing this thread