Hey Realtors

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
I'm getting ready to put my house up for sale. What are the most important things to address when preparing a home for sale. I'm looking for a quick sale, as I've already found my dream home (well my newest dream home). I am already prepared to offer my home at a discount, but like I said, I want to move it quick (30 days or less). Any suggestions?

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
I'm no realtor... but my suggestion is.. leave some furniture in it when you show it. Houses look like ASS when totally empty and this will let potential buyers get a feel for what it will look like furnished. Also, repaint it. Spend a weekend and repaint the ENTIRE house. When I was looking for houses I was VERY deterred by shitty looking house paint. It's a sign that the owner just didn't give a **** and if they didn't give a **** about the paint.. it makes you wonder what else they "let go".

vortex03

Established Member
Really it all depends on the value of your dream home and the appraised value of your current home. But, before you have your current home appraised. Be sure to clean up your property. Like azsnake98 said, repaint your house. Also, trim up any short trees and hedges. Mow the entire yard and break out the weed-eater. Redo any and all landscaping. Cleaning up your property will increase your appraised value. Once your home has been appraised start negotiations about $10-20k ABOVE the value of your home. That way if someone was to make a lower offer it will still be in your limit of selling.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The answer is pretty simple, what do you expect to see when looking for your dream house. As pointed out, make sure it is staged well and clean. There should be no personal items around, especially in the bathroom. Take everything off of counters and tables, except magazines. Get rid of clutter. Make sure your interior paint is fresh and neutral. The outside should have curb appeal and shows that it is well maintained.

The biggest thing is pricing it to sell. Place it below market value. If your realtor does comps and says it should be priced, for example, between $200K and $219K, price it at $199K. It will get a ton of foot traffic and if it looks right you will get multiple offers and may get an offer above asking price. But the offers should come quick.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The answer is pretty simple, what do you expect to see when looking for your dream house. As pointed out, make sure it is staged well and clean. There should be no personal items around, especially in the bathroom. Take everything off of counters and tables, except magazines. Get rid of clutter. Make sure your interior paint is fresh and neutral. The outside should have curb appeal and shows that it is well maintained.

I will soon be licensed as an agent and this about sums it up. The interior paint is a big one.

Maybe stage a deer or two, and pay the neighbors to be extra friendly like Chevy Chase did in Funny Farm....:lol: :lol:

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I repainted the entire interior of my home in neutrals (eggshell, berkshire white, and tan), had the carpets cleaned, and pressure washed the outside (using a mild cleaning solution). I spent about a week cleaning everything inside and out. I rented a storage area, and decluttered my home. All told, I only spent about $1500 preparing my home for sale, all the while listening to my neighbors saying "don't put any money into it if you're just going to sell it". I think I went about it the right way. It was listed in MLS on Wednesday. On Saturday morning, I had a full price offer (less than 96 hours if you're keeping score). Thanks to all for the helpful hints.

Keith

ImShakn

Established Member
Make sure you follow up on the buyer right up to closing.
I had a similar situation and the buyer decided to back out the day before closing. 60 days later and the house still hasn't sold even after 2 price reductions put it 25% under appraised value. We are about to start mediation before going to court, but I doubt that anything will be accomplished in mediation since the additional expenses incurred will not allow me to settle for the original contract.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Looks like everyone else got it right, but I would suggest renting a PODS short term storage unit and fill it with all the clutter in your house. There is nothing worse than walking into someone elses house and seeing it filled with a bunch of crap that looks way too overpowering for the rooms. Those who watch any Trading Spaces or any home improvement shows will know what I am talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread