Hesitation on shifts

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
My bro test drove a '00 White L today (I'm trying to get him to the SVT darkside, lol), and he mentioned that there was a hesitation or stumble on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Is this normal? This was on a stock truck with 58K miles. If it weren't for that, he'd probably taken it home. Any insight?

TIA

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Jimbo sounds like it needs the boost bypass kit. Might be losing boost between shifts, which just kills the power on these beasts.
Hard to say without driving it though. :thumbsup:

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
It could also be that the tranny filter is clogged beyond belief. If the truck has 58K miles, more than likely, the previous owner didn't change it or the tranny fluid. Try a new filter and some new fluid.

I would also tend to agree with L.L. about losing boost pressure. Look on RPMOutlet for free instructions and parts listing for doing the boost bypass.

If your buddy is going to go through the hassle of changing the filter and fluid, mention to him that he might want to think about a 4x4 pan and tranny filter. Not only does it hold and extra quart, but it has a drain plug like the oil pan. Makes future changes hella easier.

--Rob:beer:

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Thanks for the responses, guys :thumbsup:

I'll have him check those. Anyone in Austin, TX that would be willing to check the truck and give an opinion on condition/price would be appreciated. Leif Johnson Ford. White, 2000 L with 58K. Asking price $20K

:beer:

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Doesn't sound like a bad deal when you consider that a 3 year old vehicle should have about 36K miles on it. Drive the truck and listen for any odd noises, rattles or squeaks. Ask the dealership if they have any service histroy on the truck. See if they can tell you who the previous owner was. If he's an older guy, chances are he may not have driven it hard. If it's a younger person, they probably drove the wheels off it. Ask the previous owner why they got rid of it. Might be a sign of something wrong. Make sure you talk to the dealership about an extended warranty.

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
That deffinatly sounds like the boost bypass going. I only had it happen on my truck once or twice. But its pretty easy to unplug the soliniod and drive it again to see if the problem goes away.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
This is normal. It is the computer backing out the fuel and boost before the next shift. Those of you with chips are forgetting what your truck did when stock. Remember the farts between shifts???

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
My truck only fell on its face during shifts when the bypass opened.

I have not bothered to data log yet, but I am pretty confident that the PCM does not pull fuel on shifts, rather pulls large amounts of timing.. Which will make the truck loose gobs of torque, but not to the extent he seems to be describing.

SideShowBob

Established Member
I would have to agree with kcobra. My L was farting on every shift and falling on its face. I then put in my all of my mods and it went away. I was told that it was a preprogrammed miss designed to save the motor and tranny during the hard shifts. I wanted the harder quicker shifts, so I modded away.:shrug: :shrug:

wannabesvtdude

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I am dying to buy a Lightning for many reasons; the look on the face of a Z-28 owner as a truck blows his doors, the ability to pull my bass boat, the rumble of Flowmasters under my armpits are among a few of them. If anyone knows of a 1999-2001 Lightning owner in Texas that has to part with his baby, let me know. Glad to be a part of the site, maybe soon I can change my screen name from wannabe to certified owner!!

Users who are viewing this thread