Here's some advice. I had to learn the hard way.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
+1

You've been burned for going cheap twice, why do it again? I can't say enough good things about the Tymenskys (Modular Performance).

I've done a lot of research and have found tons of good enough on MMR and very little negatives. And exactly how is $3,250 shipped considered cheap for a shortblock? I'm also failing to see where any of the parts they use that are listed below considered cheap as well:

MMR 4.6 Street Mod 800 Shortblock

*Brand New Cast Iron 2004 Cobra Block, torque plate bored and honed

*New 4340 Forged 3.543 stroke Cobra Crankshaft w/micro polished journals at no extra charge

*New 4340 5.933 MMR 800HP H-beam Rods w/ARP rod bolts ( These rods are shotpeened, magnafluxed and weight matched to bring you the finest H-beam rod available for your 4.6)

*New Forged Manley pistons (High or low compression)

*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to your application, nitrous, blower, turbo or N/A)

* Clevite tri-metal Rod and ACL Performance Main bearings

*Complete Pro Assembly and Balancing for the smoothest, highest revving shortblock available, Pre-Lubricated with Royal Purple Assembly Lube and spin tested. Lastly 3 technicians sign off on your new engine prior to packaging and crating.

mustangman36578

Established Member
goodluck with mmr. i have heard some bad things about them too. just by word on here and a few other forums no personal experience to back it up though. if i were to have some one build me a short block i would go with modularperformance with out a doubt. when i bought my adj cam gears from them i went there to pick them up (they are about 30 min from me) and John was showing me some of the engines he is building and other stuff he is working on. he builds engines for people around the world. he was showing me one hes building for some guy in australia! plus i have heard nothing but good about them.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
As in this one?

MellingPump.jpg

couldn't tell you just by looking at it, but yeah, that looks to be the one.

should be about $280 or so.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Can anybody point out any specific situations here about MMR being bad? I've searched on here and haven't found anything yet.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
My buddy has a 96 GT with a MMR shortblock. He's running the 900 or 950 shortblock. Whichever they make. He just upgraded from an S trim to a Novi 2000 and lost 94 horsepower. He's thinking he has a blow by problem. The other two I know of don't have any boost applied. One is a 5.4 N/A set up and the other is a low compression motor that's he's still figuriing out which forced induction he wants to use.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
if you're gonna do it right, get yourself a melling oil pump with billet gears.
i've done plenty of searching on here and turbomustangforums.com, and while i don't agree with the rest of your comments about MMR their oil pumps are known to have a few failures. but i also know 2 people running their pump for the past few years with no problems at all...

As in this one?

MellingPump.jpg
yup, that's the one. 10227. ordered that to go with my MMR shortblock. order it through MMR cause it's the cheapest anywhere($290) and they stock them so no waiting 2 weeks...

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
i had enough problems trying to get a set of damn coil overs from mmr then even more after i told them just to refund me. the whole process took about two months and that alone i couldnt see myself wanting to spend more money with them.

got a buddy that ordered a long block from them, got the run around after having a bunch of problems. had to re drop the motor and send it back to then got it back and still wasnt happy with it but is dealing with what ever other problems pop up on his own. its been a while since i talked to him but maybe i can ask him the porblems.

every shop has some small porblems here or there but i mainly was turned away from mmr due to customer service. best of luck with the motor, and post up the results when its done.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm ordering the Melling Oil Pump with Billet Gears to go with this. I've also searched on here and turbomustangs.com and found a few people that said some negative things about MMR but found that in most cases MMR disputed the claims with proof. And after all, several of those guys I saw that complained had twin turbo setups and pushing 800+hp thru the motors. I'm looking for a solid 500rwhp car...that's all. Then I'm ready to move on to another project.

I hope everything goes well for me this time around. I don't see how the MMR shortblock I ordered can be any worse than the shortblock I've been dealing with.

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
If you keep your rpms under 7k the stock pump will work fine as long as you have the stock dampner on it.

The bad rep MMR got on their pumps is that the street pumps were nothing more than cryo treated stock cast gears (stupid idea IMO). So high rpms they vibrated and broke.

Keep in mind that since your oil pump gears are now bullet that they are indeed stronger. However, that means that they are also more rigid against your stock forged crank. Over time can start to chew up the crank. But again I think if you limit the rpms like I said, you'll be fine.

But also going by the sheer numbers of MMR shortblocks out there in cars vs the number of issues I think you'll be fine with it. 1 person has a bad experience they tell 10 people. 1 person has a good experience the tells 1 person.

-Mark

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
So do you think the billet gears will be that rough on a 4340 Forged Crank? I could see it maybe on a cast iron crank but I would think the forged could withstand some heavy abuse. There again, I'm really not that abusive on my car even though I've had the same problems as a 1000hp every weekend drag car.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
your crank will be fine. I've had billet gears with the same crank for over 30k miles with no issues.

Unless you are doing hard launches every 10 minutes at 7000rpm, its not a big deal.

the flats of the crank may show marginally more wear, but its no biggie.

J'sSilverSnake

Established Member
why would you let him build the second motor?,One friend of a friend that has a shop wan't to rebuilt my motor after I blow on octuber for less money ,I make a good call ending pay more here with RSP ( Jay ) only to make sure that was right the first time

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
your crank will be fine. I've had billet gears with the same crank for over 30k miles with no issues.

Unless you are doing hard launches every 10 minutes at 7000rpm, its not a big deal.

the flats of the crank may show marginally more wear, but its no biggie.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

why would you let him build the second motor?,One friend of a friend that has a shop wan't to rebuilt my motor after I blow on octuber for less money ,I make a good call ending pay more here with RSP ( Jay ) only to make sure that was right the first time

Well, like I said, I was foolish. I actually thought my problems were more related to running the Vortech non-intercooled than my mechanic's work. You live and you learn. Maybe a little more expensive for me to learn but oh well :rollseyes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread