Here's some advice. I had to learn the hard way.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
:bash: Ok so I bought my 01 Cobra in 2007. The very day I bought it the non-intercooled Vortech V-2 and my foot melted the number 6 piston. That was mistake number 1.

:bash: Mistake 2. The bigger mistake however was getting a "friend of the family" mechanic that has worked on all my cars over the years to rebuild this Mod motor. He had never done one but said he could. I also talked to Vortech prior to the rebuild and they said that my unit was made to run "without" an intercooler and I should be fine. So being stupid and NOT going ahead a doing a forged bottom end I had my mechanic put everything back stock...yes, because it was cheaper. I had mismatched bolts and reused headstuds and yes, you guessed it...after having him fix his mistakes I still melted the number 8 piston and had blown gaskets everywhere and spun a bearing.

:fm: :cuss: :bash: Mistake 3. The biggest mistake was letting this "friend of the family" mechanic build the motor a 2nd time. BUT, this time I bought Mahle Forged Pistons with a dishtop and 9:1 compression, Eagle Rods and Paxton Intercooler and so on to do the bottom end right and bring down intake temps. I had a good tune done and made 436rwhp and 390rwtq. I was happy. Then last week I had a Spec Stage 2 Clutch Kit, Spec Steel Flywheel, Steeda quadrant, adjuster and cable put on. I told my wife that I was going to put some miles on the clutch and I went for a drive. I was doing 50mph in 3rd gear and went about 3/4 WOT to 65 and shifted into 4th and I lost oil pressure and my motor died. It locked up because of 2 spun bearings that have binded the crankshaft and has potentially scarred the block! I'm disgusted!

Solution: I just ordered the MMR "Aluminator Shortblock Killer", 4.6 Street Mod 800 Shortblock. I'm having the shortblock shipped to DynoSpeed Racing and they are going to do the install and retune for me using my current heads and such. They are going to have my heads re-worked and get everything right for the way I should have done it the first time around.

:poke: Moral of Story and long story longer: DON'T be like me and let just anyone work on your car and build your motor or you could end up spending this:

:nonono:
First rebuild: $4500
Second rebuild plus Mahle Pistons and Eagle Rods: $5500
Current work to be done: MMR Mod 800 Shortblock shipped: $3250
Install and tune of new shortblock: $2500

Side Note: The car had never been to the track and I really do not drive my cars hard on the street. Maybe a little spirited now and then but that's it. It had 63k on it when I bought it and only has 67k now...been in shop too much.

Pray for me on this one :(

Last edited:

omj

Established Member
If the guy ****ed up the first motor, why would you let him build the second motor?

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
If the guy ****ed up the first motor, why would you let him build the second motor?

On the first rebuild I found out that he let one of his flunky helpers do the torque down work on all the studs and bolts. When I looked over the motor and found all the mistakes, I confronted this "friend of the family" mechanic about it and he looked at the motor and fired the guy on the spot. He then ordered all new studs, bolts and gaskets from Ford and fixed it on him.

So, I honestly thought when it blew the second time that it had more to do with the Vortech not being intercooled then it did his abilities to fix the motor. I was foolish and let him do it again thinking that nothing would happen with a forged bottom end especially with the addition of the Paxton Intercooler. Now I 110% believe that this guy just isn't going through all the checks and clearences that are needed for a Mod Motor. My fault/stupidity.

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Do you have or are you getting the head cooling mod? There's a new design out there now but I can't remember who makes it.

mustangman36578

Established Member
Do you have or are you getting the head cooling mod? There's a new design out there now but I can't remember who makes it.

+1. would be a great idea to install that while the engine is out. i think APS still has the best kit out. its for sale on cobra bpbs website. APS Head Cooling Mods

this will help you from frying piston 8 again :rockon:

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's a nice looking cooling mod. It looks better then the old LDC set up. And $4500 for a stock rebuild? Ouch.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I'm sorry to say, you might not have any better luck with the MMR motor.

certainly not a shop I would choose to build a lawnmower engine, but thats me.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I'm sorry to say, you might not have any better luck with the MMR motor.

certainly not a shop I would choose to build a lawnmower engine, but thats me.

Curious...as I have been having troubles with my car for the past two years and I've been researching Modular Mustang Racing and Coast High Performance for about a year-and-a-half, and pretty much narrowed it down to those two if I ever bought a shortblock because I haven't heard any horror stories of engine failures due to something MMR or CHP had done. Of course I've heard of bad tunes on these motors and extreme abuse due to hotlap drag racing these motors for several seasons but I don't plan on having or doing either of those.

Why exactly do you not like the MMR motors? Thanks.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member

+1. would be a great idea to install that while the engine is out. i think APS still has the best kit out. its for sale on cobra bpbs website. APS Head Cooling Mods

this will help you from frying piston 8 again :rockon:

I do not, but I will look into doing this as well. Thanks guys.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Curious...as I have been having troubles with my car for the past two years and I've been researching Modular Mustang Racing and Coast High Performance for about a year-and-a-half, and pretty much narrowed it down to those two if I ever bought a shortblock because I haven't heard any horror stories of engine failures due to something MMR or CHP had done. Of course I've heard of bad tunes on these motors and extreme abuse due to hotlap drag racing these motors for several seasons but I don't plan on having or doing either of those.

Why exactly do you not like the MMR motors? Thanks.

I've seen a bunch of issues with their motors over the years, and their oil pump thing was just a disgrace. Not necessarily "omg my engine blew" but little stupid stuff that can be expensive and keep the car out of commission.

CHP can't build a mod motor that lasts long enough to even be installed in a car. I remember them selling that 5.1l stroker kits that required the blocks to be bored .060 over or something stupid.

If I were to buy a pre-assembled shortblock, I would get it from modularperformance, boss330, or proline/mph.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I've seen a bunch of issues with their motors over the years, and their oil pump thing was just a disgrace. Not necessarily "omg my engine blew" but little stupid stuff that can be expensive and keep the car out of commission.

CHP can't build a mod motor that lasts long enough to even be installed in a car. I remember them selling that 5.1l stroker kits that required the blocks to be bored .060 over or something stupid.

If I were to buy a pre-assembled shortblock, I would get it from modularperformance, boss330, or proline/mph.

Ok. What I did was order the shortblock with the upgraded ARP Mainstuds and the MMR block sidebolts. I did not order their oil pump or any other of their upgrades. I opted for a Ford Racing oil pump that will be installed by DynoSpeed Racing. Hopefully I won't have no where near the troubles that I've been having with the stock shortblock and my mechanic. I'm trying to do everything right this time around.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
if you're gonna do it right, get yourself a melling oil pump with billet gears.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
As in this one?

MellingPump.jpg

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member

+1

You've been burned for going cheap twice, why do it again? I can't say enough good things about the Tymenskys (Modular Performance).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread