here we go again... be careful driving starting tomorrow.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Good luck, evo 4-9 engine is flipped from the evo 1-3 and DSM configuration. Timing belt is on drivers side with tranny on pass side for evos 1-3 abd dsm. Reverse that and you get evos 4-9 (no idea on EvoX and its 4b11 configuration)

Plus the GST/GSX already come with a 4g63 same as the evos but with better head. However not better enough to warrant all the difficulty of the swap. You would be better off with a built head and great cams. Just like trying to do an evo9 twin scroll 16g swap into a dsm, by the time all the work is done and the recipts are added, you couldve bought twice the turbo and still saved money and bolted it on direct.

Well, that threw a wrench into my gears lol. I don't know enough about DSM's yet (obviously lol) but i really like GSX's so having one at about 400ish AWHP would be a really fun car. I'd leave it looking stock and do as much weight reduction as I could and surprise the hell out of people lol. :beer:

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
Lol you've never ran across a modded Evo? Doesn't take much to get them to 400+ AWHP. I know this from experience when my C5Z was beaten by one. I have tons of respect for DSM's.

i would have to agree with you, however, there's something about the evo that i do not like... perhaps it looks "cute" (as my fiance put it) :-D

Kiohtee

Established Member
You were right...

[youtube_browser]BGo4oxcfH8U#at[/youtube_browser]

At least 90% of those vehicles were clean! And they weren't all that bad at first with their revving, but the burnouts is where things started to go wrong. :nonono:

Let the flaming commence.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
just checked out some evo vids on youtube... not bad! i respect the ride now, LOL!

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm surprised a conversation was had about 350Zs and EVOs without mention of an STi or SRT4. I don't know what it is about a 350Z, but I just can't stand them (has nothing to do with their drivers). They're ugly as sin, slow as pigs, and expensive for what they offer (or don't, rather).

I'm honestly looking at SRT4s as my next car. Would prefer Stage 2+ and as stock looking as possible but hey, I'm open to the combos.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Well, that threw a wrench into my gears lol. I don't know enough about DSM's yet (obviously lol) but i really like GSX's so having one at about 400ish AWHP would be a really fun car. I'd leave it looking stock and do as much weight reduction as I could and surprise the hell out of people lol. :beer:

Its not very heavy to need weight reduction. Even Shep ran a full interior into the 8's. Now a Spyder with an AWD swap yeah, but I wouldnt even worry about it unless you plan on tracking it and need every pound saved you can.

DSM is an Evo with less technology, but at that point, also costs cheaper to mod and maintain.

Also subjective, but not everyone likes a 4dr econobox lancer look. It took me years to come to enjoy the looks of a clean Evo8/9, EvoX look so sick though.

I'm surprised a conversation was had about 350Zs and EVOs without mention of an STi or SRT4. I don't know what it is about a 350Z, but I just can't stand them (has nothing to do with their drivers). They're ugly as sin, slow as pigs, and expensive for what they offer (or don't, rather).

I'm honestly looking at SRT4s as my next car. Would prefer Stage 2+ and as stock looking as possible but hey, I'm open to the combos.

SRT4 are nice and come with a great motor package, but downside being FWD. My buddy with a S3 and upgraded compressor wheel on 100 octane walked my cobra with numbers in my sig.

STi/WRX, yeah, still trying to find the pro's of them. Usually cost more than an Evo, Mods cost more and are harder to do on average, maintenance costs more, engine cant nearly hold as much as a 4g63. Evo chassis is far more rigid.

My good buddy has a 06 WRX with a 20g and support, built tranny. Bought the car brand new, spent thousands on the turbo and support, blew the tranny at the 300awhp level so had to buy a built trans and clutch, now he thinks hes at around 350awhp and still gets walked by bolton/stock turbo evo's. Then come the excuses. Right now he has the car apart because he thought the clutch was slipping, and hes porting the shit out of anything he can port.

350z are nice but they arent very fast, from driving one they are around 99-04 GT territory. They are a well rounded vehicle that handles well and looks pretty nice, and for low teens nowadays for used ones they are a great buy IMO. I think the problem with most of their owners is their perception of "fast". If the fastest car youve been in is a 350z then yeah, youll think its fast too. If the fastest car youve been in is a 700whp 3.4L Whipple Cobra, then thats what fast is to you.

All things being equal though, id rather have a G35 than a 350z, little more baller status, dont have to worry about the 350z hardon kiddies making you look bad, but if the right price came around id hop in either.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Its not very heavy to need weight reduction. Even Shep ran a full interior into the 8's. Now a Spyder with an AWD swap yeah, but I wouldnt even worry about it unless you plan on tracking it and need every pound saved you can.

DSM is an Evo with less technology, but at that point, also costs cheaper to mod and maintain.

Also subjective, but not everyone likes a 4dr econobox lancer look. It took me years to come to enjoy the looks of a clean Evo8/9, EvoX look so sick though.

Well since it's going to be a weekend car all i'd do is take it out to screw with people and track it so i wouldn't mind removing the back seats, maybe even take out the washer fluid and run on a 1/4 tank lol. It's honestly just for shits and giggles. If you where around my area in Cali you'd know why it's so funny to me. Most of the "ballers" here will think their beemers and benzes are top of the food chain. My C5Z scares them too easily but smoking them in a "POS old mitsubishi" will just have me laughing the whole time.

I don't really mind how Evo's look but they are a well known car and so people would be a little apprehensive to challenge one. Plus, like you said, DSM is cheaper to mod and maintain. I'm thinking of just painting it white and throwing a 5% tint on it and wearing a stormtrooper helmet anytime i drive it. :lol:

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I had a stock rx8 fly by me at 30-40 over on the highway tonight and cut me off. There was traffic, but it would have been fut to put him in his place with a 4 door buick. Heck, my old 1.8t bug used to beat them.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
I had a stock rx8 fly by me at 30-40 over on the highway tonight and cut me off. There was traffic, but it would have been fut to put him in his place with a 4 door buick. Heck, my old 1.8t bug used to beat them.

As a previous RX8 owner this hurts . . . becuse it's the truth. :burn:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
the RX8 wouldve been much better if they ever did a Mazdaspeed version that actually had power. Or if they stuck a LSx in them.

Users who are viewing this thread