Herbicide/defoliant recommendations?

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
I have a decent sized yard and the back is surrounded with chain link fence. This is a pain in the ass to run a line trimmer against because the chain link just eats the line up. That and I can only really get the grass and weeds on my side of the fence. I want to find something that I can spray along the fence that will just kill the grass and weeds. I only want to kill about a 6" strip right along the fence. That will make it a lot easier to mow and trim. The fenced in area is where my dogs play so I'd prefer something natural.

Does anyone have any cheap yet effective suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

rd04svt

Established Member
Round-Up....keep the dogs off it for a couple hours(2-3) until it drys...no more weeds/grass. Just be careful of drift....Round-Up can/will kill anything green. Stay away from anything with 2-4D if pets are a concern.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
rd04svt said:
Round-Up....keep the dogs off it for a couple hours(2-3) until it drys...no more weeds/grass. Just be careful of drift....Round-Up can/will kill anything green. Stay away from anything with 2-4D if pets are a concern.

+1 especially the green stuff part.

03DOHC

Established Member
Round up works great. Water the areas you want to kill a few hours before you spray it. The green stuff will suck up the poison much faster that way.

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
rd04svt said:
Round-Up can/will kill anything green.
+1, thats all I use in my lawn business. Don't skimp on the cheaper look-a-like brands, pay a little more and get the Round-up. It will keep it dead for MONTHS.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I use a generic roundup called Touchdown to clean up weeds around the farm... I dunno if you can get it though... I just get it from our local farm chemical supplier, bout half the price and does as good as roundup...

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
straightliner1 said:
Is Vapam still available? That stuff sterilizes the ground for a good 6-8 months. NOTHING will show itself there except daylight.

yes, but probably not the best for domestic use! hahaha :idea:

straightliner1

Established Member
Pisshaw! ;)

I remember my Pops having me help him dump that stuff on the yard back when I was 5 or 6 and even diluted it would burn the piss out of your eyes. I think it's now only available in Cali to those who have some sort of special Agriculture/farm license or something. I haven't seen the stuff in many many years.

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
Thanks guys. I'll probably test a couple out this weekend. I'm thinking about buying one of those pressure sprayers to do what I need to do. Anything with a trigger pump is going to be a LOT of trigger pulls.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Don't bother with the expensive herbacides that may cause health effects.

Use bleach in a spray bottle. Plants hate bleach, and within a day the active ingredients are gone (plants are dead too) no worrys about the dogs rolling in round-up/calgon/weedbdead or any other excessive chemical

..oh yeah, and its cheap to!

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
ElGato said:
Don't bother with the expensive herbacides that may cause health effects.

Use bleach in a spray bottle. Plants hate bleach, and within a day the active ingredients are gone (plants are dead too) no worrys about the dogs rolling in round-up/calgon/weedbdead or any other excessive chemical

..oh yeah, and its cheap to!

This sounds like my best option so far. Thanks El Gato. Two questions though.

1.) Will I have to spray regularly or a few times a season?
2.) What concentration of bleach/water would be most effective?

Users who are viewing this thread