Help

Black2003Vert

Caution.This snake bites
Established Member
My car has no power around 4,000 RPM's. It begans to shake and go's no where. Some people are telling me its my tune ( perhaps to much timing ), some are saying that I have valve float, and some are saying that I'm runnin out of fuel.

Black2003Vert

Caution.This snake bites
Established Member
Problem first happened when I was racing my cousin and I hit 140 mph. Started shaking and loss power. Came home and pulled plugs. Burned off tip of plug.Happened again a few months later. Time for retune.Cold air, C&L pipe, throttle body/plenum, off road h, exhaust, ported blower, upper 2.8, lower 4 lb, heat exchanger, tune. The problem was happeing so I went and had retuned. Motor was very lean. They richened up and motor would hesitate/miss at 4 k.They said I needed new coilpacks. I ordered the GMS coilpacks. I waited three weeks for them to come in but didnt drive vehicle. Couple of days before they came in I noticed the motor knocked for a couple of minutes when I started it.Put the GMS coilpacks in and no change. Had motor checked and knocking was from melted pistons. Pulled motor, rebuilt, bored thirty over, added longtubes and cooling mod. Drove around on new motor for brake in. Was told to get it into boost a lil bit to set rings.Other night got on highway and once I shifted to fourth, slowly boosted and motor began to shake exactly like it did before the motor started knocking.

Any one know?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The first time around you were obviously a victim of a high speed run under load. You're not the first and you won't be the last. Who did the motor rebuild?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That would be a top gear run to 140+. There have been a number of threads here discussing the potential harm to the motor under these conditions.

Black2003Vert

Caution.This snake bites
Established Member
What kind of problems show up? I know bout the alternator issue causing lean issues, which I had before, but what else? What else should I be look'n for since I have a new short block?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Have a good shop check out your motor. Also, do a search and you'll find a number of threads discussing the hazards of these runs. I wish you the best.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I'd still get another tuner. Not having luck with Mike. I mean how many time have we all heard from a shop "get this, get that" and it doesnt work out. I'd go somewhere else. There are way too many great tuners on this site alone to take a chance.

Black2003Vert

Caution.This snake bites
Established Member
Thats just it, I'm not rich so I didnt want to get my butt kicked in every direction by paying for repairs. I guess I have no choice.

Black2003Vert

Caution.This snake bites
Established Member
Thats just it, I'm not rich so I didnt want to get my butt kicked in every direction by paying for repairs. I guess I have no choice.

Users who are viewing this thread