help with TX inspection

Mattio

Established Member
I need to register my car here in harris county however i need a state vehicle inspection first.
Would it be stupid of me to try and get an inspection with no cats and rear o2's turned off?? The car has no codes and would still pass a sniffer. Im curious what you guys think would be the easiest and least time consuming way to get this taken care of as my Virginia registration expires at the end of the month.

Also Does anyone in the Houston area have a catted x-pipe for sale el-cheapo or one I can borrow for inspection??

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
you are only allowed to have 1 "not ready" to pass inspection. 2 or more fails.

and no check engine light.

passing the visual is up to the inspector....some gung-ho ones actually look under the car, but most dont.

cobra_80

MOTORBOATER
Established Member
No codes and nothing else wrong..you should be fine. I just passed mine with no cats and delete. I have long tubes and x pipe with flowmasters only.

selbyvince

Established Member
its really hard to tell, ive had a cobra fail that was bone stock just with a catless x pipe and catback, but had a fully built cammed saleen pass at the same place lol. And it had the o2s off, no cats, stage 3 cams.. the works..

I know quite a few places that will pass it either way though..

KB01GT

Whipple blown
Established Member
its really hard to tell, ive had a cobra fail that was bone stock just with a catless x pipe and catback, but had a fully built cammed saleen pass at the same place lol. And it had the o2s off, no cats, stage 3 cams.. the works..

I know quite a few places that will pass it either way though..

I may need to get those places from you as im in the same boat as OP. Just moved need to register car down here. Have to find a place to live first. Do different counties around Houston have different requirements? I just don't see mine passing for some reason :shrug:

selbyvince

Established Member
I may need to get those places from you as im in the same boat as OP. Just moved need to register car down here. Have to find a place to live first. Do different counties around Houston have different requirements? I just don't see mine passing for some reason :shrug:

just shoot me a pm when your ready. All the counties surround harris county require emission testing. So if you live in any of those, you will have to do it. All will be the same requirements as far as i know.

Mattio

Established Member
so maybe just try my luck and take the car in without cats and O2's turned off and see what they say. Hopefully they are kind enough to not charge me if it fails...
Anyone know a place near Katy where my luck might be decent?? pm me.

selbyvince

Established Member
ive had a few not pass, and ive never been charged. but i have heard some people that have. Dont hurt to try it out, if it passes its a lot less headache lol.

KB01GT

Whipple blown
Established Member
just shoot me a pm when your ready. All the counties surround harris county require emission testing. So if you live in any of those, you will have to do it. All will be the same requirements as far as i know.

Thanks man :beer: Gonna try and keep my Illinois plate as long as I can to avoid it.

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
It depends on what they do with the tune. Some tunes make rear cats come up as not ready, some come up as not available. My buddy just had an 04 GT that said all systems were not supported by the vehicle except for two. No catalyst sensors, etc. It was kinda funny.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
if the sensor is "turned off" it will show not ready.

IE: in one of my supercharged Foci, we had the EGR and 2nd O2 turned off. When the law changed from 2 not ready's to 1, then I failed.

And by the way, if you fail, you are still supposed to pay for the inspection, then you get 15 days to correct the defect and come back for a free re-inspection.

02torchstang

Established Member
I just passed my emissions today well technically yesterday. I have an o/r h pipe with homemade mil eliminators. I'm on the east side of Houston. The guy pretty much checked everything except look under the car, well since my car is lowered I wouldn't think he wanted to get in he's stomach. Lol!

Sent from the Galaxy next to yours

Users who are viewing this thread