Help with Oil question Motor Craft 5w20(Super Premium Oil)

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
1svtfan said:
Do you have any inside dirt
I felt compelled to confirm the info about Mobil 1 that Hissman brought to our attention because there is so much info on the internet that contradicts it. It really took some digging but yes I eventually found the inside dirt! Here it is, it goes on for 23 pages: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=749606&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I read most of it and it is quite interesting and dramatic, that is if you're kind of a nerd like me. If you want the cliff notes version: synthetic oils were considered to be of a Group IV or V base stock (non-mineral stock) and another company (Castrol) highly refined a mineral oil (this is called Group III, hydrocracked) and called it a synthetic. Exxon Mobil sued them and lost so now Group III oils can be called synthetics in our country. Here is a good post I found on that oil forum: "I have known for a fact Mobil 1 has been mostly group III basestock as far back as NOV. 2004. And YES this includes the regular Mobil 1 and the EP formula also. Now I know people will ask who I work for, sorry I cant let that out, I have four mouths to feed and I wont jeopardize that. Let (me) make this clear I am not a Mobil hater and they are doing nothing illegal, thanks to Castrol group III is termed a full synthetic."

Now that being said, the man actually who blew the whistle on the Mobil 1 formulation had this to say: "Using Group III is a smart move for a business and not really a betrayal. Oil companies are not selling a formula, they are selling a performance level, and are free to change the formulation anytime they please so long as their claims match the performance level they are selling. To my knowledge EM (Exxon Mobil) has never claimed that their synthetic oils have no Group III (I think many would disagree on this point), only that they are based on “synthetic” base oils including PAOs (Group IV). It would be foolish for a company to take such a definitive stand against a class of chemistry as it closes the door forever on them changing their minds or responding to market trends. The purists have inferred from their statements that they would never use a Group III, perhaps because they wanted to believe it, but EM did nothing wrong in my humble opinion. As for the price, value is determined by each buyer. I am willing to pay more for M1, not because of its composition, but because I respect their history, quality, and reputation. There is value in that name that I will shell out a few more bucks for, just as many people continue to buy the Castrol Group III synthetics."

According to his research it appears that the current formulation of Mobil 1 is a blend of Group III, IV and V base stocks. It is unclear whether or not this current formulation is superior or inferior to any previous formulations but what is clear is that the use of Group III base stock in Mobil 1 reduces cost. However, as we all know, there has been no reduction in the retail prices to reflect this... shocker.

Last edited:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Very interesting Joel. I hate when companies find cheaper ways to make things & they don't pass the savings on to us... :(

I'm sure you would agree... !

:nonono:

Last edited:

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
jmproductions said:
Decided to put both posts together above...

Thanks. Sounds like the issue is legal verbiage.... I guess fully synthetic doesn't mean 100% synthetic, at least in the US. :bash:

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
i use the motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend in mine. does'nt use any oil between changes and sounds/runs fine.

Fuerza

Established Member
After reading all this stuff about Mobil 1 not being a full synethic anymore I'm tempted to just stick with Motorcraft 5w20 or use Motorcraft 5w30. Why pay more money for oil that isn't doing anything? I'm pretty anal about changing my oil anyway, so I'm not worried about going over on my oil changes. New filter and fresh oil ever 3k miles you can't go wrong. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread