Help with Oil question Motor Craft 5w20(Super Premium Oil)

buddy255

2004 Torch Red Cobra
Established Member
I was going to get oil and I could have sworn that last year the MotorCraft 5w20 said on the bottle Super Premium Oil, that is what is in the manual. But the guy at Auto Zone said that they changed the bottle on the 5w20 to say synthetic oil it's the samething??? Does this sound right?

Thanks

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The only true full synthetic on the market now are Royal purple, Amsoil, Redline, and a few other big names. Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic. I will be switching to Amsoil after years and years of running nothing but M1.

-Jeff

Juruense

Banned
I also will be switching to Amsoil and I am very disappointed with Mobil1's decision :mad:

When I first got my Cobra I decided I would be "by the book" and use Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend oil. I immediately noticed an annoying tick from the driver's head when the car was fully up to temp.

Switched to Mobil1 5W-30 and the tick is almost completely gone.

FYI never listen to the guy at AutoZone, EVER.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yeah, the guy at autozone is making minimum wage, has probably only worked there for a month or so, will probably only be there another month before he quits, and drives a 1989 Honda. Not exactly a guy I would take mechanical advice from.

-Jeff

buddy255

2004 Torch Red Cobra
Established Member
So if I went by the book, which says Super Premium Oil, but Motorcraft website only shows SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil. This replaces the SPO?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Same thing.

IMO though, I would run a 5w30 oil. Regardless of what Ford says.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
5w20 is too thin. Most cobra owners run 5w30 in their cars. I think that the 5w20 was used as more of a way to get a better emissions/mpg rating.

wiltshp

Established Member
buddy, I think you are fine with 5w 20. The two numbers stand for the viscosity when the oil is cold and when the oil is at operating temperature. Too get an oil to have more than one viscosity (straight weight oils only have one weight I.E. SAE 30) they have to add polymers to the oil that straighten out when the oil gets warm to give it a thicker property. The further the two numbers are apart 5w20 vs. 5w 30, the more polymers they have to add. This takes away from the oil's abilty to lubricate, which is it's primary purpose.

wiltshp

Established Member
buddy, I think you are fine with 5w 20. The two numbers stand for the viscosity when the oil is cold and when the oil is at operating temperature. Too get an oil to have more than one viscosity (straight weight oils only have one weight I.E. SAE 30) they have to add polymers to the oil that straighten out when the oil gets warm to give it a thicker property. The further the two numbers are apart 5w20 vs. 5w 30, the more polymers they have to add. This takes away from the oil's abilty to lubricate, which is it's primary purpose.

Juruense

Banned
When I first got my Cobra I decided I would be "by the book" and use Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend oil. I immediately noticed an annoying tick from the driver's head when the car was fully up to temp.

Switched to Mobil1 5W-30 and the tick is almost completely gone.

8Sec03Cobra

I have used nothing but the Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend in mine since it was new. I beat the car constantly and have never had any issues with it. I guess really it is all just personal preferance though

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
It is my opinion that the 5w20 is too thin.
It does seem that it is too thin but I don't know enough about it to understand why Ford recommends it for these engines. Don't they always err on the conservative side with oils (thicker)?

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
The only true full synthetic on the market now are Royal purple, Amsoil, Redline, and a few other big names. Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic. I will be switching to Amsoil after years and years of running nothing but M1.

-Jeff

Just curious where you got your info. The website still states that it is fully synthetic, as does the bottle. Do you have any inside dirt, or did I just miss something?

EDIT:
Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread