Help with new iPhone 4s

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Hi,

I just got a new iPhone 4s today and I'm trying to activate it and I'm not having much success. I'm on Verizon and I've already called them and the guy in tech support seems to think the phone is broken but this is an iPhone and they are supposed to be perfect right?

I powered it up when I got it and went thru the setup process but the first time I did it I forgot to shut my old phone off. So I reset the phone and did it again with my droid turned off. The iPhone powers up just fine and it connects to wifi with no problem but it says "searching" in the upper left corner and then says "No Service" and I'm less than a mile from the tower and my droid and BB work phone both get sufficient signal.

Does anyone have any pointers for successfully setting up the iPhone on Verizon? The nearest Verizon company store is 2 hours away from me so I don't want to drive there for them to fiddle with it and/or replace it if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any help! :beer:

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
Also it may be something as simple as needing a new sim card.

He's on Verizon.

I don't have any personal experience with the OTA activation, but it took a friend of mine a few minutes for it to activate; it wasn't instant. Only thing I can suggest is to wait or go into a Verizon store and hope there isn't a long line.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Was on the phone with VZW tech support for quite a long period tonight and now they're telling me there's a network problem that won't let new phones activate. What sucks even more is that it also won't let me re-activate my old phone. Well at least I have my work BB just in case I do have to call someone.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Was on the phone with VZW tech support for quite a long period tonight and now they're telling me there's a network problem that won't let new phones activate. What sucks even more is that it also won't let me re-activate my old phone. Well at least I have my work BB just in case I do have to call someone.

Technolog - Verizon has third data outage in a month

That would explain why you cant get yours to activate....

Blk04Snake

Established Member
I think it's time for you to move out of "the middle of nowhere".

Me being nowhere has nothing to do with it. I have a Verizon tower about 1/2 mile straight line distance from my house and usually get all bars. The guy in technical support wherever he was said his phone hasn't worked since this afternoon so they've obviously got some bigtime issues going on somewhere.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Technolog - Verizon has third data outage in a month

That would explain why you cant get yours to activate....

Thanks! I actually did get it to give me 1 bar a few minutes ago real briefly so I guess the first guy that I talked to today that wanted me to either a) buy another new iphone and wait several days for it to be shipped or b) drive hundreds of miles to a company store that had one in stock to exchange was way off base. Besides.. iPhone is supposed to always work right? So it can't be broke.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Eh you can still have a defective unit, but it sounds more like a verizon connectivity issue than a phone one.

Can you connect to your homes wireless (if available)?

Yup, connects to home wireless just fine. Also they had me try to dial *228 and it rings and says I'm not authorized to call that number.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Me being nowhere has nothing to do with it. I have a Verizon tower about 1/2 mile straight line distance from my house and usually get all bars. The guy in technical support wherever he was said his phone hasn't worked since this afternoon so they've obviously got some bigtime issues going on somewhere.

I was only kidding...:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry you're having issues. I've had my 4S for a few months now and have no issues at all. Activating was simple and short. If this is indeed a network issue, and it sounds like that is the case, you should be able to activate your phone soon. Verizon will do all they can to get it rectified as quickly as possible.

I have Verizon as well and haven't had any network issues. I'm in CT.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
well now they are adding a $2 service charge for one time bill payments made over phone or online...what a scam

Users who are viewing this thread