Votes: 25 17.7%
  • Other (Post below)

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RU8TNQT

Im a sexy s.o.b.
Established Member
thanks for votes I just wanted to validate my choice, dont want an abused cobra that someone else beat up first, I also wanna go through the learning experiences to I like working on cars (and spending money on cars) so I am gonna find a unmolested bad ass cobra and f@#% it up............J/K gonna be tasteful and clean will be posting over the next year the progress Thanks guys I am thinking black or blue maybe orange

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
Now, personal opinion here. I'd just buy a new edge GT if your going to do all this. Saves you a shit ton of money on initial cost and your in the same boat but with more extra cash for parts. Only downfall would be when it comes to re-sale, and if it really bothers you that it is a gt.

Exacly. If I was you just get a GT and start your project with that

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
This is really a loaded question. The nice thing about an 03 Cobra is, you can do a turbo setup, basic fuel system upgrade (modded fpdm, twin gt pumps, bap) and make the 700 rwhp EASILY. It already has a T56, swap a 26 spline input shaft, and it will handle that all day long. A BIG blower setup usually takes a shit ton of boost and race gas to do it, and will heat soak badly on the street, so the turbo idea is a good option. A buddy of mine on here, SNAFU (he sold the car to shakk on here) did the HP Twin 57's on his 03 Cobra years ago, and that car ROLLED OUT, and idled, drove like a super mild car, and was super quiet. It made in the mid 600's on 15 psi, 804 rwhp on race gas and 22.5 psi.

Mach 1's can be found for CHEAP though, 10k or a little less if you really look around, although there are plenty for way more than that as well. Azure blue mach 1 is a BAD LOOKING MOFO TOO! With a Mach 1, you will have the same basic seat "upgrade" compared to a GT, have 13" brakes, but you will HAVE to do something with the motor, fuel system, and transmission. IRS can be swapped right in, if you want it, or build the solid axle from mild to wild, and be 80+ pounds lighter.

Either car can get you to your 700 rwhp goal quite easily. The Cobra is going to cost more right off the bat (but if you search around, there are plenty of deals out there on them as well, just have to look), but already starts out with a stronger motor combo (plus you can sell the eaton stuff to offset SOME of the turbo cost), and a stronger transmission, and a fuel system that is closer to being able to handle 700. A Mach 1 would need an 03-04 Cobra tank, or go return style.

It just depends on what you want to spend starting out, and how good you are at looking for deals on a shortblock/trans/fuel stuff for the Mach 1, as well as figuring out what you want to spend on a turbo setup.

The GT option is another route to go, hell, sometimes you can find some really modded ones for a good price (and sometimes for crackhead stupidly high prices). GT resale will always suck in comparison, especially if you want alot for it, after modding it, because they arent as desirable, and loan value isnt high on them (making an expensive one harder to buy for the average person). If you have some cash to play with, getting one to 700 rwhp could be done "cheaply", if you picked a plan and went with it.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
thanks for votes I just wanted to validate my choice, dont want an abused cobra that someone else beat up first, I also wanna go through the learning experiences to I like working on cars (and spending money on cars) so I am gonna find a unmolested bad ass cobra and f@#% it up............J/K gonna be tasteful and clean will be posting over the next year the progress Thanks guys I am thinking black or blue maybe orange

I guess one way to look at it is this

If you buy a Cobra, you can do basic stuff, and make mid 400's-500 real easily NOW, and play with it.

If you buy a Mach 1, it will be slower NOW, and you wont get far with boltons, but nitrous could get a lightly modded one to low to mid 400's fairly easily.

If you buy a GT, and it's stock, you are starting with a SLUG, that wont be as fun NOW, but if you want, you can get the ball rolling on getting the big stuff coming for it, and have less money out in the initial buying of the car.

RU8TNQT

Im a sexy s.o.b.
Established Member
This is really a loaded question. The nice thing about an 03 Cobra is, you can do a turbo setup, basic fuel system upgrade (modded fpdm, twin gt pumps, bap) and make the 700 rwhp EASILY. It already has a T56, swap a 26 spline input shaft, and it will handle that all day long. A BIG blower setup usually takes a shit ton of boost and race gas to do it, and will heat soak badly on the street, so the turbo idea is a good option. A buddy of mine on here, SNAFU (he sold the car to shakk on here) did the HP Twin 57's on his 03 Cobra years ago, and that car ROLLED OUT, and idled, drove like a super mild car, and was super quiet. It made in the mid 600's on 15 psi, 804 rwhp on race gas and 22.5 psi.

Mach 1's can be found for CHEAP though, 10k or a little less if you really look around, although there are plenty for way more than that as well. Azure blue mach 1 is a BAD LOOKING MOFO TOO! With a Mach 1, you will have the same basic seat "upgrade" compared to a GT, have 13" brakes, but you will HAVE to do something with the motor, fuel system, and transmission. IRS can be swapped right in, if you want it, or build the solid axle from mild to wild, and be 80+ pounds lighter.

Either car can get you to your 700 rwhp goal quite easily. The Cobra is going to cost more right off the bat (but if you search around, there are plenty of deals out there on them as well, just have to look), but already starts out with a stronger motor combo (plus you can sell the eaton stuff to offset SOME of the turbo cost), and a stronger transmission, and a fuel system that is closer to being able to handle 700. A Mach 1 would need an 03-04 Cobra tank, or go return style.

It just depends on what you want to spend starting out, and how good you are at looking for deals on a shortblock/trans/fuel stuff for the Mach 1, as well as figuring out what you want to spend on a turbo setup.

The GT option is another route to go, hell, sometimes you can find some really modded ones for a good price (and sometimes for crackhead stupidly high prices). GT resale will always suck in comparison, especially if you want alot for it, after modding it, because they arent as desirable, and loan value isnt high on them (making an expensive one harder to buy for the average person). If you have some cash to play with, getting one to 700 rwhp could be done "cheaply", if you picked a plan and went with it.

Do you see my dilemma now, too many options but I wont be unhappy whatever I do, I think I will go for a cobra and play with the car in stgock form and this way I can build it the way I want slowly. first and foremost is a set of CCW's and a pulley

siLversLeigh

Established Member
Please explain why you think 03 Cobras are "overhyped".

It was partly sarcastic, partly truth.

Well i traded in my whippled 04L for a stock 03 cobra, pullied it then whippled it.

Friggin nose heavy moneypit. Made 582/532 on 17lbs, sure it was decently quick but never really liked it. People just expect too much from these cars. I also had bought one that burned oil, so maybe I'm just one of the unlucky (and semi-bitter) few.

So before you assume I don't know what I'm talking about, I actually do.

Last edited:

slow90coupe

Established Member
cobra FTW! you will get some really good power #s out of the stock bottom end. the mach, not so much, and wouldnt be able to take near as much boost as the cobra motor would. you cant really go wrong either way though. GL with your decision man!

MACHGIRL

Established Member
Well I'm gonna go the opposite of most everyone here and say get a Mach.
They are both great cars though, you can't go wrong with either one.

Users who are viewing this thread