help with my gt?

Three21

Established Member
another question im a sheetmetal worker couldnt i just make some and weld them in? if so what would be my best option on that? what to use i can get anything in that department.lol

Yes, you can build your own with a chop saw and MIG welder. I built some weld-ins for my car way back when. I think they are 2.5in x 3/4in box tubing 1/8in wall thickness. They follow the floorpans and have a cross brace to re-inforce / tie together the seat bolts as well.

Research welding your torque boxes (where your upper control arms attach to the body) while you're doing this welding under the car. Worthwhile reinforcement if you ever plan on running slicks.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Yes, you can build your own with a chop saw and MIG welder. I built some weld-ins for my car way back when. I think they are 2.5in x 3/4in box tubing 1/8in wall thickness. They follow the floorpans and have a cross brace to re-inforce / tie together the seat bolts as well.

Research welding your torque boxes (where your upper control arms attach to the body) while you're doing this welding under the car. Worthwhile reinforcement if you ever plan on running slicks.
Thanks I'll look at that I have a mig at home and I work in a journeyman sheet metal worker in the local 20 so like I said I have access to what ever I need in the department lol. Another thing with my spindles, would it be ok doing the upgrades to just clean up the ones on the car already they don't look bad.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Yes. Clean them up and repack your bearings if they are in still good shape.
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing the spindle is what I usually call the knuckle the part that holds the brakes, wheel bearings and struts correct? Sorry for all the questions but most of my friends aren't as smart as they think they are and most are Chevy guys LMAO anyway just want to make sure I'm thinking right.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing the spindle is what I usually call the knuckle the part that holds the brakes, wheel bearings and struts correct? Sorry for all the questions but most of my friends aren't as smart as they think they are and most are Chevy guys LMAO anyway just want to make sure I'm thinking right.
The spindle is connected to the ball joint and strut. It also holds the brake assembly.

I remembered to clean and repaint mine after reassembling the car. Oh well, I don't expect anyone to have their head in the wheel well. It would have been nice to have made everything look new though.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

There is a bit of curvature in the connectors if I remember correctly. If you build your own, use the old ones as templates. I would also make them strong enough to use as a jacking rail.

I have to wonder if a full undercarriage X brace would be beneficial. If I had a welder handy (mine was stolen) I would experiment with that, and build a panhard bar.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
There is a bit of curvature in the connectors if I remember correctly. If you build your own, use the old ones as templates. I would also make them strong enough to use as a jacking rail.

I have to wonder if a full undercarriage X brace would be beneficial. If I had a welder handy (mine was stolen) I would experiment with that, and build a panhard bar.

Right on when I get to that point I'll let you know what I came up with for sure thanks again

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Got the whole front end out and got the control arms yesterday waiting on the springs so it's coming along. I have to have one of the tires flipped since am mounted one backwards but it's coming still.
Hopefully AM compensated you for the hassle you are having to endure with the tire.

I have stopped using AM and shop with LMR for the majority of what I need.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Hopefully AM compensated you for the hassle you are having to endure with the tire.

I have stopped using AM and shop with LMR for the majority of what I need.

I'm done with Am I have to reorder c springs they won't ship to a different address other than my billing address I've argued with them for 3 days about it just to have them cancel the order.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
I'm done with Am I have to reorder c springs they won't ship to a different address other than my billing address I've argued with them for 3 days about it just to have them cancel the order.
They said they would compensate when I send them a copy of the receipt which I'm going to do this weekend .

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
No one that I can think of will ship to an address that doesn't match the card. LMR makes sure that statement is out there plain and clear.

I used to be in the mail order performance industry. That was a standard safety precaution.

Wait; how did they approve your wheel and tire combo and not the springs?

SteveKnight77

Established Member
No one that I can think of will ship to an address that doesn't match the card. LMR makes sure that statement is out there plain and clear.

I used to be in the mail order performance industry. That was a standard safety precaution.

Wait; how did they approve your wheel and tire combo and not the springs?

Really hmm wonder why they have that option on there then. I just did it with the control arms but they came from usautoparts.

Users who are viewing this thread