Help with KB Mammoth s/c 2004 Cobra

wtw

Established Member
I have an 04 mammoth 2.8 LC cobra not running right and wanted to see if anyone can help diagnose the problem. I thought I got bad gas because it was pinging/rattling. I put some nos octane boost and that seemed to help with the noise but once it warms up it doesn't seem to have the normal power there. It has also ran up to about 215 degrees and I think it should be around 180-190. When I first run it in the morning it seems to run normally but once it warms up it doesn't have the normal power. Pretty sure need to check the thermostat and cooling components but not sure if that would cause it to not have the normal power once it warms up (as long as its not too hot). THink I need to check plugs? I didn't build the car and Im certainly no expert on these cars but it's definitely not running right. Any help or pointers for things to check would be appreciated!

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
I have an 04 mammoth 2.8 LC cobra not running right and wanted to see if anyone can help diagnose the problem. I thought I got bad gas because it was pinging/rattling. I put some nos octane boost and that seemed to help with the noise but once it warms up it doesn't seem to have the normal power there. It has also ran up to about 215 degrees and I think it should be around 180-190. When I first run it in the morning it seems to run normally but once it warms up it doesn't have the normal power. Pretty sure need to check the thermostat and cooling components but not sure if that would cause it to not have the normal power once it warms up (as long as its not too hot). THink I need to check plugs? I didn't build the car and Im certainly no expert on these cars but it's definitely not running right. Any help or pointers for things to check would be appreciated!

You may want a compression test, and I would definitely pull the plugs before you drive it. Start with the rear driverside. You'll probably find the enamel has been blown off them from the detonation. If so you probably just trashed the short block.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
If your pinging and rattling then you have some issues.

1. Not enough fuel, either tune related or fuel delivery related.

2. If fuel is not the issue you could be running WAAAYYYY to much timing.

I am going to say its a fuel issue. Who tuned the car? supporting mods? Datalogs?

Either way stop driving it.

racebronco2

Established Member

What are the mods?

How long have you had the car?

How long ago was it tuned?

Do you at least have a wide band?

Does it only ping under wot?

Users who are viewing this thread