Help with IRS!

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
I have an 01 Cobra and it just hit 96,xxx miles. I love the car and really enjoy driving it but the Cobra clunk annoys me every time I drive it. The problem is lately I've felt like it's gotten worse, almost like the bushings are wearing out and deteriorating rather quickly, is that possible? This is my daily driver and I'm a couple hundred miles from home at college so it's really my only mode of transportation. I jacked it up and the exposed part of the bushing is cracked and dry rotted. I took some pictures which aren't the best but hopefully you can see it what I'm talking about. Is it all in my head or should I get ready to order the FTBR kit?
da87cd694449501a6fe4ce50dcd836e8.jpg
5f229926a62ee0a6b792a4676212c374.jpg
b4ecdc895719ba4b1984c3ab81d5e2f8.jpg

The pictures I got were the lower control arm and an upper and lower subframe to chassis mount

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yes, it's possible. Once rubber starts going it doesn't take long to be completely gone. You'll probably want to plan on swapping bushings on one of your breaks from school.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Established Member
Yes, it's possible. Once rubber starts going it doesn't take long to be completely gone. You'll probably want to plan on swapping bushings on one of your breaks from school.

How soon would you think though? I have fall break in a little over a week or wait till Christmas break which starts at the beginning of august. I daily drive it and it's a couple hundred miles one way to get home so if it needs to be done now then I need to try to plan it out and hope the install goes smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm going to guess you meant December for winter break. Doing the bushings isn't a small job. I'd say a couple days at least depending on your skills. As for how long it'll last, who knows. All you can do is keep an eye on it.

Established Member
Must've been autocorrect, I'm using the app on my phone. Well going off FTBR's website it says 5-8 hours if you've never done it and you have someone helping you. I work at a small automotive shop at home and would get my boss to help me, think it could be done in a day?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

zeus201

Established Member
Must've been autocorrect, I'm using the app on my phone. Well going off FTBR's website it says 5-8 hours if you've never done it and you have someone helping you. I work at a small automotive shop at home and would get my boss to help me, think it could be done in a day?

It could be done in a day if you have access to the shop and all their tools / lift, but it'd be a long day. Mine wasn't a DD which made it nice as I ran into all sorts of issues which ended up taking me several weeks to complete. This is what I found when tearing apart the IRS during that time and my car had 60xxx miles:

- Bearings on both knuckles were toast. Replaced with FTBR's refurb'd units.
- Cross axis boots and joints were toast but those were addressed with the replacement knuckles.
- Halfshaft boots were torn. Luckily at the time I found low pair.
- One of my toe-links were bent, upgraded to FTBR deluxe pieces.
- Resealed the diff cover and filled with Amsoil severe gear. Year later upgraded to the FRPP IRS diff cover which is lightyears better than the stock piece.

While waiting for parts to come in:
- I ditched the OEM eccentric cam bolt for FTBR ones.
- If I recall, 99 and 01 Cobra didn't come with the front diff torque brace that the Terminator came with. I ended purchasing one of those as well and highly suggest getting one.
- Replaced the rear brake pads since I already had everything apart.
- New fuel filter since it wasn't buried by the IRS.
- Ended up painting the upper controls black and lowers as close to their aluminum color.
- Replaced pinion seal as well.

However, once everything installed and aligned, it was 150% worth all the work. Good luck and take your time!

Established Member
That's actually what I was afraid of.
What if I need cross axis joint? Or toe links or bearings and seals, then the price goes up real quick. Looks like I might just have to wait till Christmas break so it's not rushed and maybe I can find a pot of gold just in case things are more worn out than the look

zeus201

Established Member
That's actually what I was afraid of.
What if I need cross axis joint? Or toe links or bearings and seals, then the price goes up real quick. Looks like I might just have to wait till Christmas break so it's not rushed and maybe I can find a pot of gold just in case things are more worn out than the look

Seems like a go idea to wait and take your time.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My buddy and I are above average in the skills department. He has torches and good tools. We also had a lift at the time. I think we started about 10am Saturday and I got home about 5am Sunday. And I still had to go back to adjust the toe after getting some sleep.

Last edited:

Established Member
Thank y'all for the help. As of right now I have other things I need to do to it steering rack bushings, tires, I'll get those done over fall break. Looks like have excessive camber I the rear and my rack bushing creek and pop when turning. Then I'll do the IRS over Christmas break that way I can take my time and can be meticulous with it. I am excited to see how it drives after all three are done, tires rack and IRS bushing and a four wheel alignment. Thanks again!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I remember the rack bushings making a difference in both of my cars. I went with the aluminum bushings.

Established Member
That's what I did too. I could've gotten new factory ones from Ford real cheap but decided that the performance, durability, and how long they lasted justified the cost, and I want to upgrade my car with time not see it stay the same

Users who are viewing this thread