Help with garage door remote control!

z06_23_45

Established Member
I'm having trouble with my remotes not opening my garage door. They had been working fine until a few months ago but they will not work from outside the garage. It has slowly been getting worse and as I said now won't work period. The problem , I assume, is with the sensor?? but I am not sure how to adjust it. If I am inside the garage and stand directly under the lifter/opener it will work fine, open and close with no problems. If I drive up to my house and push the button on the remote it will not open, but if I get out and stand RIGHT NEXT to the door it opens. I know the battery in the remote is not the problem because my wife's remote is brand new and exhibits the same behavior. Where do I adjust the sensor/eye/whatever it is so that the remotes are heard/seen/picked/have more range.

It is driving us absolutely nutttttsss! Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Did you plug anything in near the garage door opener, like a battery charger, that could interfere with the reception?:shrug:

Were you working near the garage door opener and somehow move or bend the antenna?:shrug:

If none of the above, try reprogramming both remotes and see if that clears up the problem.

z06_23_45

Established Member
Did you plug anything in near the garage door opener, like a battery charger, that could interfere with the reception?:shrug:

Were you working near the garage door opener and somehow move or bend the antenna?:shrug:

If none of the above, try reprogramming both remotes and see if that clears up the problem.

No I haven't. I actually JUST reprogrammed them and no dice. The only other thing is that I got a new router a few months back and have seen where some people say that a router can cause problems like this. Is this true?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Ya say you know it isn't the battery but have you actually bought a pack of new ones and try? Just because it was shipped with batteries doesn't mean they are perfect. Couple dollars seems to be an easy way to troubleshoot the issue because you spend a bunch of time possibly making it worse.

z06_23_45

Established Member
The light lights up 100% of the time on the remote. If the batteries were bad the lights on the remote would not come on. The fact that both remotes are doing the same exact thing would say it is something other than the batteries.

99GTvert

Established Member
The light lights up 100% of the time on the remote. If the batteries were bad the lights on the remote would not come on. The fact that both remotes are doing the same exact thing would say it is something other than the batteries.

And my radio still works when the battery in my truck is too dead to start. Just because the light comes on, doesn't mean the battery is good.

z06_23_45

Established Member
If you read my post I said I can stand right under the opener with the remote but once I am outside of the garage the remotes won't work. So NO IT IS NOT THE BATTERY.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you read my post I said I can stand right under the opener with the remote but once I am outside of the garage the remotes won't work. So NO IT IS NOT THE BATTERY.

I just asked a friend that designed the transmitter for a Genie opener about 10 years ago. He said since the transmitter is current dependent for output power, that even if the transmitter LED lights up it may still be sending with almost no power. It can put out enough signal strength if you stand under the opener, but signal strength fall off at the square of the distance even 10 feet may render the signal useless.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I just asked a friend that designed the transmitter for a Genie opener about 10 years ago. He said since the transmitter is current dependent for output power, that even if the transmitter LED lights up it may still be sending with almost no power. It can put out enough signal strength if you stand under the opener, but signal strength fall off at the square of the distance even 10 feet may render the signal useless.

Precisely.. SO REPLACE THE BATTERY

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member

****ing lol at that logic

z06_23_45

Established Member
Do you really think I wouldn't think of changing the battery???

I just went and bought a new battery and get this it is EXACTLY THE SAME!!

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Mine is funky like that also. One of my doors opens fine but the other one will not. I have to hit the button and wait for one door to open all the way. After that I hit the other button and the second door opens. It refuses to open unless the other one is. I changed my batteries but it didn't work. I think my garage sensor is messed up or something is blocking it on my second door. If I find the problem I will let you know.

z06_23_45

Established Member
Replace em again.. jesus. Do you need someone to come over and show you how?

I JUST went to Walgreens, bought new batteries and replaced them. IT DID NOT WORK. So can you come show me how to do that please??

z06_23_45

Established Member
Mine is funky like that also. One of my doors opens fine but the other one will not. I have to hit the button and wait for one door to open all the way. After that I hit the other button and the second door opens. It refuses to open unless the other one is. I changed my batteries but it didn't work. I think my garage sensor is messed up or something is blocking it on my second door. If I find the problem I will let you know.

Thanks man, let me know!

99 BIG RED

Established Member
That's sounds like an issue I had. In my case the board on the actual garage door opener got fried. I had only lived in the house for a week and that happened to me. Mine was under warranty for two years so it was cool.

I have noticed that the home links work better than my remotes.

GL

Users who are viewing this thread