Help with front end refresh

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
I have a 98 GT that has gotten really loose in the front after 120k miles. The car is reilable daily transportation so I've decided to spend some money getting it to drive a little better. At the same time, I'm not trying to spend any more than necessary, I'll save that for the Cobra.

The front end likes to shake all over the place and there is a lot of play in the steering. I plan on getting a steering shaft, wheels balanced and alignment but what else? I would buy new tie-rods and steering shaft but I'm trying to make this a budget fix. Is there a way to tell if those need replacing?

JerseyTrueBlue

Established Member
Unless the tie rods are physically broken you are fine but you could always check out your balljoints. I don't see a reason for your rack to be messed up unless it chipped a tooth or something like that. I'm sure the rods and rack are fine, just check out the balljoints like I said. The rest of the things you mentioned is basically the most you can do without tearing things apart and replacing bushings like on the control arms.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Unless the tie rods are physically broken you are fine but you could always check out your balljoints. I don't see a reason for your rack to be messed up unless it chipped a tooth or something like that. I'm sure the rods and rack are fine, just check out the balljoints like I said. The rest of the things you mentioned is basically the most you can do without tearing things apart and replacing bushings like on the control arms.

Not true. jack up your car and grab each front tire and wiggle it side to side to check for play in the inner and outer tie-rod ends. Wiggle the tire from top to bottom to check for wheel bearing play. You dont want a tie rod failing at speed and stuffing a tire up and into the wheel well.

spike_africa

Established Member
Unless the rubber isolator in the steering shaft is ripped don't bother replacing it. Your time is better spent getting the car up on jackstands and seeing what bushings are bad and are making the front end walk all over. With 120k I am sure the ball joints, tie rods, and steering rack bushing are most likely all worn out and that is where alot of your issues come from.

Users who are viewing this thread