Help with drone?

Smjx

So I ran Offroad x, resonators, and borla ataks.
Wanted to get a a deeper tone, but be somewhat close to the same volume and ideally no drone. Ended up changing valance and going back to single tips, and ordered me an MBRP race catback. Had it on the car for about a week, overall sounds good, a little quiet for my taste except for the drone. That is what's killing me, 70mph im at 2200 rpm and it's beyond annoying.

Link to exhaust video of my car for anyone interested.

Car kinda makes my ears ring and the drone is pretty terrible. Any suggestions?

Kinda throwing around idea of just pulling it and selling it, and going back to my old setup, convert the ataks back to single tips. Figured if I do this, I want to get rid of the factory resonators and add in like a race bullet or something so the piping size doesn't cut down, and try to make it sound a bit deeper. Also would like a little bit more volume, but ataks with no resonators is wayyyyy too raspy for me and way too much negative attention.

Another thought I had is get me a set of Magnaflow 12867's, same mufflers used in the comp catback and just have them welded in. Basically making it a magnaflow comp cat back, but I hear this drones as well.

Last thing I had thought of is from what I have read, some people have the above setup's with longtubes and it cures the drone. Thought about saving up some cash and trying to pick up a complete set for black friday.

What do you guys think?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would expect the off-road X is contributing to the drone, as are the Ataks. My solution to kill drone back when I had my '03 Cobra was a catted X-pipe and Steeda catback (made by Borla). Zero drone at any RPM. There are other solutions/combos that would help you as well. Also, some setups will REDUCE the drone but won't necessary eliminate it. Hopefully others will chime in.

Have you done a search on this subject? It's been covered in other threads. I believe there was one only a couple of months ago. Covered it pretty well as I remember.

9TMAREEE

Established Member
Trust me man just go back to borla, Ive tried my fair share of muffler options with my off road x and nothing comes close to the quality, sound and lack of drone the borlas have, they are all either going to drone or just sound like crap. Borlas are Very loud on the outside yet nice and quiet on the inside when you need them to be. If you want deeper I just simply suggest switching your ataks for s types like I have. Perfect combo of loud but also deep, where the ataks are a little louder but more raspy and tinny less deep. Unfortunately with any off road x you just aren't going to get that true deep sound like you would with an H pipe, thats just how it is, but borla s types get it pretty close. just my .02 cents

Coosawjack

Established Member
MRT 3" H-pipe with Race Cats and Borla S-Types axle-backs will be about the best I can offer you......the X-pipe with no cats is a BIG part of your drone problem IMHO!!:cool:

Good Luck.....Cabin Drone sux!!:mad:

Gruca

Established Member
My off-road x with GT500 axleback has zero drone. Pretty loud too. Not LTs with no cats and a Roush loud, but deep and loud when you want it to be.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I hear you with the ridiculous drone of the mbrp race catback. That was the first exhaust mod I did along with an off-road x-pipe and the drone on the highway was deafening. Ended up trying a bunch of different combos after that (gt500, magnaflow street, magnaflow street quad tip, and finally settled with the Corsa sport quad tip axle back. In your case though if you want a deeper sound you should probably switch to an h-pipe. I would recommend going with Borla or Corsa mufflers as they are both designed to be drone free.

On a side note, the gt500 mufflers are also drone free but there was something about their exhaust sound that I just didn’t care for. Also they don’t look nearly as good out back like a quality aftermarket muffler with nice, shiny tips.

Users who are viewing this thread