Help with buying my first diesel truck

Jack Burton

Established Member
Well, I've mainly had cars most of my life. I have owned a couple of trucks, but they were all gas engines. So, lately I've been hunting for trucks, mainly Ford's. At first I was looking at some F-250's with the 5.4 (most of the ones I was looking at had a lift and beefed up rims/tires). From what I've read, the fuel mileage will be pretty bad and that the 5.4 isn't big on the performance end. So, I started looking at diesels. I've been reading up on the 7.3 as well as the 6.0 (and the associated issues). The truck will be my daily driver with some towing on the weekends (3,000lb bass boat). I prefer a truck with a bit of a lift and beefed up rims/tires (I know this will hurt mpg). From what I've read, it appears that generally, I will see a bit better fuel economy with the diesel, as well as longer engine life over gas.

So, I've narrowed down my search. I've been looking at the 7.3's in the early 2000 years and 2006 and 2007 6.0's. I'd really like a 6.0, but what I have read scares me a bit as the truck will be my main mode of transportation. Providing that I leave the engine stock, use a premium coolant with no silicates, and a good synthetic oil (while staying on top of fuel/oil filter changes) can the 6.0 be a reliable truck for me, or am I going to be a lot safer with a 7.3?

Thanks in advance for the help

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
I have a 2005 6.0 for my daily driver. No problems, just keep the oil changed and CHANGE THE FUEL FILTERS!!! If you aren't changing the fuel filters when you're supposed to you'll start losing injectors. Oh and don't put a tuner on it if you don't have ARP head studs.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'm not planning on doing the ARP studs (unless it comes down to having to replace the head gaskets). Because of that, I wasn't planning on doing a tune (as you mentioned). I was also planning on keeping up on the oil and fuel filters, as that seems to be a huge deal with diesels. Providing that I don't tune the truck and that I keep a religious maintenance schedule, do you think I would have many problems with the 6.0? Oh, and from what I've read, it seems the EGR delete is the way to go. Do you guys know usually how much the kit is and how much it usually costs to install?

Thanks

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Coolant filter and an Edge Insight with EGT probe to monitor your vitals.

Mine is getting studded next week only as a preventative measure and found a 'friendly' dealership.

So far I love my 6.0L.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Yeah, from what I've read the Edge Insight is a very good piece of hardware to get. I think I read somewhere that if you see you ECT and EOT take a big swing it's a sign that the EGR is about to take a dump. Not positive on it though, I just remember people saying that you need something to keep an eye on your temps.

How many miles are on your 6.0? I'm new to diesels...is buying one with 70k to 90k miles a higher mileage truck or that pretty low for a diesel? I hear of people running them with hundreds of thousands of miles.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah, from what I've read the Edge Insight is a very good piece of hardware to get. I think I read somewhere that if you see you ECT and EOT take a big swing it's a sign that the EGR is about to take a dump. Not positive on it though, I just remember people saying that you need something to keep an eye on your temps.

How many miles are on your 6.0? I'm new to diesels...is buying one with 70k to 90k miles a higher mileage truck or that pretty low for a diesel? I hear of people running them with hundreds of thousands of miles.

IIRC if you see more than a 15 degree swing means the EGR cooler is fragged. Mine is normally 3-7 degrees difference with normal driving.

I'd say that mileage is inline with what it should have. Diesels last alot longer than gas motors typically. Mine only had 19k on it when I bought it in June. Getting ready to turn 23k this week.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
My EGR went out at 110k miles and we just replaced it instead of deleting it. Wanted to keep this truck as legal as possible.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Yeah, the 15 degrees sounds right, that's what I remember reading.

What is the replacement cost on an EGR (for part and install)? Did it affect the EGR cooler?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah, the 15 degrees sounds right, that's what I remember reading.

What is the replacement cost on an EGR (for part and install)? Did it affect the EGR cooler?

The EGR itself isn't bad to replace or expensive from what I recall. Its the EGR cooler going south that can screw ya over.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's easier to just delete the EGR than install one of their coolers. The only way I'd do that is if I had a real problem getting an inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread