HELP! Whipple making grinding/rattling sound

SwampMoose

Established Member
Well, put in the fuel system last weekend and went got it tuned today. Everything went great until I was driving home. I got a engine light and it was running kinda rough. I downloaded the DTC and it's a P0405, which is EGR circuit A low input. When I got home I popped the hood and can hear a grinding/rattling sound from the back of the blower. I took off the blower belt and cranked it and heard no sound so I know it's coming from the blower.

Any idea what this could be???

lxhatch302

Established Member
make sure neither of the two vacuum lines popped off the map sensor....i know mine popped off and i sounded like a rattle then i notice it...plug it back on and was good

SwampMoose

Established Member
yes.
You need some long allen wrenches with a ball end.

Thanks! I'm gonna do that and see what I can find. I've taken off the intake and throttle body and nothing looks out of place. All the lines are connected so that's not it. With the belt off the blower spins freely and doesn't seem to bind on anything.

sn94cobra

Corn-aholic
Established Member
Thanks! I'm gonna do that and see what I can find. I've taken off the intake and throttle body and nothing looks out of place. All the lines are connected so that's not it. With the belt off the blower spins freely and doesn't seem to bind on anything.
Check your idlers. I had a noise that sounded like it was coming from the s/c and it was actually from the idlers bearings.

SwampMoose

Established Member
Check your idlers. I had a noise that sounded like it was coming from the s/c and it was actually from the idlers bearings.

All the idlers are new, I'm almost 100% sure it's coming from the blower. It really sounds like something is loose in there, and it didn't do it all the time.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Long ball end allen wrenches and a good nights sleep are your friend for taking the inlet off the blower on the car. Those standard length ball end wrenches are the perfect length and you just need a cheater bar for the short end to break it loose. Then gently pry up evenly on both sides to get it off.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Low input usually means a connector not plugged in or bad wiring. The code and the noise don't seem related.

SwampMoose

Established Member
Thanks for the replies! I found the problem. It was all in the tune I just got last week... I put the other MAF and old tune back on it and the car runs great.

SwampMoose

Established Member
Yeah, my tuner used a tune from another similar car as a baseline to build mine and the tune file was corrupt so when I loaded it my ECM was going nuts. Oh a side note, I just got my new rear tires on and I love them. Went from 315 nitto 555r DRs to the NT05 street tires and think they actually hook better than the DRs.

Users who are viewing this thread