HELP..Whats a good clutch for a 425hp car?

jacob517

GOT SHARPIE?
Established Member
My car recently had a Kenne Bell put on and I currently have a SPEC stage 2 clutch, it has the worst pedal (VERY HARD) I have ever had in a clutch!!!!!:cuss:

What are you guys using that can handle close to 500 tq and have a softer pedal??:??:

blk03shkr

Established Member
Just got a spec stage 2 in my mach 1 with 440 rwhp, i kind of like the stiffer pedal but im not driving it that much....doesnt seem that much harder than stock to me to be honest. chatters like a mofo though.

chipmonk

Established Member
Tbh a stock terminator clutch would probably do you if u dont plan on upping the power soon.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Call Promotion powertrain and get a clutch from them. I have had two clutches from promotion and both had a stockish pedal feel yet could hold power.
On my second one now and it feels pretty good.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

Last edited:

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Call Promotion powertrain and get a clutch from them. I have had two clutches from promotion and both had a stockish pedal feel yet could hold power.
On my second one now and it feels pretty good.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

^best advice IMO and ill second his word.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I have a spec stg 3 and love it actually. The pedal feel is way less than stock and it hold good power.. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess.. Next clutch will be a RXT though.

jacob517

GOT SHARPIE?
Established Member
I apparently ordered the wrong clutch!:cuss: I called American Muscle and checked what was shipped and it was a stage 1 :nonono: I thought I ordered a 2?? Obviously I'm way over the max torque for the stage 1 so its coming out!!!

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I have 543rwhp in my 05 GT.
I had a Centerforce in it from 2006-2007 which started to slip.
I was in a jam and needed another clutch for a track event so a friend sent me his used SPEC 3+.
I ran that clutch for another 2 years till my throw out bearing let go.
I then ordered another 3+ which is still in the car.

The pedal feel on the newer one is lighter than the first one.
It's still heavier than stock but has great street manners and holds up to 5000rpm clutch dumps on slicks.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
I just ordered a custom Promotion set up from Wally.. It's rated to 520rwhp and supposedly has a stock-like feel and street-ability. Call them up!

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
Just got a spec stage 2 in my mach 1 with 440 rwhp, i kind of like the stiffer pedal but im not driving it that much....doesnt seem that much harder than stock to me to be honest. chatters like a mofo though.

Yea.. I hate it !! I wont buy another SPEC personally!!

I put a spec in my Mach 1.. I will NEVER buy another spec, chatter/throw out bearing is junk and just not pleased at all with it.. I replaced mine before I put my ProCharger on and went with a RAM stg3 rated to like 550 or something like that.. 10x better than the spec :rockon:

jacob517

GOT SHARPIE?
Established Member
K Thanks guys! I'm pulling the trans this weekend. Called "wally"@ Promotion and he thinks my input shaft is twisted? If so I'm going to a 26spline and a new clutch from them! Thanks for the info!:beer:

mtrsprt

Established Member
If your input shaft is twisted, it wasn't your clutch. Don't blame Spec.

A Spec Stage 2 is plenty of clutch for your setup. Pedal effort shouldn't be hard at all either. A proper install, break-in, and adjusment is key.

Promotion doesn't make ANY clutch hardware BTW. They mix and match pressure plates,and discs to come up with their own "special" setup. Nothing special about them either.

393notch

Established Member
Spec stage 2 here. no problems in my 460hp notch. good pedal feel and grabs like a mother...

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
I'm running a custom clutch through a local guy that is very similar to the promotion setup. I'm at ~550hp and the clutch is still going strong plus the pedal effort is unbelievably soft.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Promotion doesn't make ANY clutch hardware BTW. They mix and match pressure plates,and discs to come up with their own "special" setup. Nothing special about them either.

How would you respond to all the positive reviews SVT members consistently give the Pro-Motion for a 500-550 RW car :shrug: And I know they don't manufacture the pieces so I shouldn't have phrased it "Their own":rockon:

mtrsprt

Established Member
How would you respond to all the positive reviews SVT members consistently give the Pro-Motion for a 500-550 RW car :shrug: And I know they don't manufacture the pieces so I shouldn't have phrased it "Their own":rockon:
Because it takes only one person to start a bad reputation. Where as it takes hundreds of people to say something good in order for people to believe.

I could find an easy 80% more people that run Spec, who have had no issue properly choosing and installing a Spec clutch assembly.

For every one person that uses the Promotion setup, 10-15 use a Spec setup with no issues.

A Spec Stage 2, 2+ is probably enough clutch for about 90% of the users here will ever need. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread