help transfering my files to my new computer

SCCA SM

Established Member
i have an old lenovo think pad that ive been borrowing from my dad since someone jacked my computer. just recently i got my new badass laptop.

both my dad and i have important files on that think pad that we both need to save.

here is my question. ideally i would find every file that has been created or modified after a certain date, copy all those files to the new computer, wipe them off the old computer. Does a program to do this exist? or how would i do it manually?

Thanks svtp

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Copy all files manually to a flash drive then transfer to new computer. Then reformat the old computer and setup windows again. Should be clean then.

SCCA SM

Established Member
take out the hard drive if you can. make it to an external hard drive.
they are both laptops.. both have internal SSD's... im not very computer oriented so taking apart a laptop is a bit scary to me

Copy all files manually to a flash drive then transfer to new computer. Then reformat the old computer and setup windows again. Should be clean then.

i cant do a re install. there are programs on the computer that cant be re installed to my knowledge. i dont need to wipe anything. i just need to get my files onto my computer.

is there a way to search windows 7 for all files created after or all files modified after?

btw idk if this matters but the files are going to go from a windows 7 computer to a windows 8 computer.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
they are both laptops.. both have internal SSD's... im not very computer oriented so taking apart a laptop is a bit scary to me

i cant do a re install. there are programs on the computer that cant be re installed to my knowledge. i dont need to wipe anything. i just need to get my files onto my computer.

is there a way to search windows 7 for all files created after or all files modified after?

btw idk if this matters but the files are going to go from a windows 7 computer to a windows 8 computer.

Yes you can search all files by date and make sure you delete all the files off the old computer you dont want to be kept then. Most files should transfer fine to windows 8.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
windows 8 removed the network transfer they now try and force you into their cloud bull crap.

i tried a software for $30 and it moved over far too much and messed up the OS to where I had to reformat.

map a network drive and do it that way or use a flash drive. drag and drop.

GodStang

Established Member
Setup something like Google Drive. Move everything there. Then move everything down to your new computer. Our you can pick up a big thumb drive for cheap and transfer that way. As said above you can search by date.

If you have a wireless router you can also setup a Workgroup and just straight up swap PC to PC.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with those above who suggest using a flash drive. I have a 64gb thumb drive for this very thing. Just use Windows Explorer and go to the folder that contains your files. Change the view option to Details. Then click on Date to sort the files by date. Then drag and drop the files you want (based on the date) to your flash drive. Transfer those files to your Windows 8 laptop. Repeat for other file folders.

Users who are viewing this thread