HELP throw out bearing sleeve broke??

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Was driving the cobra the other day and when i came to a stoplight I heard a clanking and squeaking noise, naturally I rested my foot on the pedal, and the noise went away. I let back off the pedal and there it was again. so after doing a little reading I believe the stock TB sleeve finally broke. Now my question is what all gets damaged when the sleeve breaks? I obviously have to replace the sleeve and the bearing but what else should i be worried about replacing?

cotchnobra

Established Member
The 2 things deffinitely needed are the throw out bearing and a new bearing sleeve. There is always a possibility the input shaft might have been damaged. If that is so or if you just want to upgrade while your at it instal a 26 spline input shaft. That also means you have to get your clutch disc rehubbed to 26 splines or get a whole new clutch with 26 spline. I suggest to get a whole new clutch so you dont have to drop the trans again for a long time. almost forgot, get a LDC freeplay mod and also head cooling mod while your at it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Was driving the cobra the other day and when i came to a stoplight I heard a clanking and squeaking noise, naturally I rested my foot on the pedal, and the noise went away. I let back off the pedal and there it was again. so after doing a little reading I believe the stock TB sleeve finally broke. Now my question is what all gets damaged when the sleeve breaks? I obviously have to replace the sleeve and the bearing but what else should i be worried about replacing?

well if all you are hearing is the squeeking noise, that doesn't automatically mean the sleeve broke. that is more of a symptom of a bad tob which is very common

in fact if the sleeve broke, i think you would have many more bad symptoms like a violently shaking pedal, hard to put in gerar, etc. just something to think about

but i agree that you should upgrade the sleeve when you pull the tranny anyway. and if you have the money, just upgrade the whole thing to the 26 spline setup. best of luck with it!

cobra=trouble

Established Member
click my build link get the stronger TOB slevee.
i had a slight noise on my car b4 it was the tob only if i rested my foot on the c/padel slightly i could hear it

cotchnobra

Established Member
here is a link where you can buy it.

Even Flow GEN 2 Head Cooling Mod [EF-GEN2COOLINGKIT] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

The head cooling mod is to allow a path to for coolant to flow through the driver side head. the passenger side head already has a path as it is connected with the heater core hose. The #7 And #8 piston (rear Driver side head) tend to build up excessive heat in that portion of the head and can cause ring and piston failure. The mod is just a little insurance to help prevent that. Reason for doing it when changing clutch/trans is because it is accessable with them out and it is close to imposible to do it from the top eventhough some have said they have done it that way. below is a link that give you an example of this but it is not the exact kit that I linked above.

Cooling mod kits, Apten vs LDC Chicago

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
awesome man thanks for the help and the link. I pulled the trans today, found the TB sleeve to be broke and the tb to be shot. the tube broke off flush from the face of the trans so the trans and input shaft were ok. So when all the parts get here I'll be able to button it up and get her back on the road!

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Alright I got the new parts in today, went to remove the race for the input shaft and both races started to fall out of the front case... are they supposed to be "loose" in there or are they supposed to be tight in the front case??

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Is there any need to put bearing lock on them when they are put in or just let them float? if the races turn in the housing won't that tear the housing up?

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Is there any need to put bearing lock on them when they are put in or just let them float? if the races turn in the housing won't that tear the housing up?

Nah! Every T56 I've taken apart were like that. I figure Tremec knows more about transmissions then I do so who am I to F@#$ with it? All the housings have been just fine too... Maybe they do it to allow for a different heat expansion rate between the aluminum housing and the steel race?

Users who are viewing this thread