Help! Take a look and see if you can come up with a diagnosis.

edswhite99

Established Member
Another member suggested that I take a video of the noise my car is making and post it here. I took the video with my phone so quality is not the best. Basically what you're listening for is a knock/rattle that starts close to 3k rpm. I can only hear it when i step on the accelerator. I took 2 in-car vids and one with the hood open. Thanks in advance for your help.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f90dFxfLDmQ"]YouTube - 1999 mustang cobra engine rattle pt. 2[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFSHhzdjads"]YouTube - 1999 mustang cobra engine rattle pt. 3[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vMvJYrmn1E"]YouTube - 1999 mustang cobra rattle[/nomedia]

Last edited:

edswhite99

Established Member
If it is a bearing can I drive it to a shop that's about 5 miles away or should I have it towed there?

edswhite99

Established Member
Thanks. Since I can't do the work myself, I have to find a good shop. That is proving to be a challenge.

edswhite99

Established Member
I've been doing some more searching and i've read about Strictly and PSI in Houston. As with most shops, both places have good and BAD things said about them. I actually called PSI yesterday, Thursday, and spoke to someone there. They said they would call me back today, Friday, with an estimate on buying one of their built short blocks. I didn't hear back from them. I'll give Strictly a call tomorrow and see how that goes.

txbull

Established Member
I've been doing some more searching and i've read about Strictly and PSI in Houston. As with most shops, both places have good and BAD things said about them. I actually called PSI yesterday, Thursday, and spoke to someone there. They said they would call me back today, Friday, with an estimate on buying one of their built short blocks. I didn't hear back from them. I'll give Strictly a call tomorrow and see how that goes.

That pisses me off to no end. You would think a shop would take 5 mins to make a call back. And it happens all the time. Same thing has happened to me. I had another shop do the work, called the other guy back later and told him he lost out

mug11

Established Member
do not go to strictly, and if you do, do not have them tune it. PSI has the best tuning.

Now as far as the rattle. Is this a built motor, or stock? Reason being, my built motor in my GT, (built 2v) had the same noise, except possible alot worse. The problem we figured out was the probe pistons that were used, the wrist pin holes in the pistons were slightly too large and the pins literally rattled inside the piston. Motor made power just fine, but rattled like hell for 20k miles until spirited driving made it let go. Never got the actual clearences for the holes in the pistons but we know it was bad.

Hope this helps, if you're getting the motor rebuilt, tell them to check everything!

Users who are viewing this thread