Help put together a timing chain kit for 800hp build

mikevec87

Established Member
Hey guys just like the title says I’m trying to put together a list of must haves from mmr for a timing chain for my new build

The motor will have stage 3 cams and 1mm over valves I’ve added a picture of what I thought may be needed. I need to add adjustable Primary cams gears to that list.

I’m looking for some advise from experienced guys let me know what you suggest

1355443f8e49e0673293a6848c40ccbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MalcolmV8

Established Member
There's nothing special about 800 hp on these motors. Billet chain guides are good if you'll be 2 stepping or hitting the rev limiter. No need to replace the crank trigger wheel.
Heavier springs I'm assuming with your cam? I'm not sure what a stage 3 cam is.
Heavier springs means good idea for heavier secondary chains. It's said that the GT500s have stronger secondary chains and are much cheaper than aftermarket and are a direct fit. It's what I did and no issues.

Is that secondary chain tensioner the piece that flips it upside down? Can't see in tiny pic but if so $400 is crazy. Cobra Engineering has it for $200.

On the primary chain tensioners. Use the factory cast iron metal ones if you have the plastic ones. Some cars came with the metal and some with the plastic. No need for billet chain tensioners.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
It's up to you. You can install that billet chain tensioner. It's nice and trick been a billet piece but also not needed. The stocker's don't fail that I've ever seen.

Yeah that cam needs upgrade springs.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I just pulled my 3V apart for a cam change, maybe 500 miles on new plastic tensioners, and noticed they were distorted a bit. Decided to upgrade to the MMR race tensioners.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I just pulled my 3V apart for a cam change, maybe 500 miles on new plastic tensioners, and noticed they were distorted a bit. Decided to upgrade to the MMR race tensioners.

Yeah plastic tensioners... not sure what Ford was thinking there. I don't know about the 3 valves but the 4 valves have a factory cast iron option which is what I always swap to in these motors if I open one up and see plastic.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Just buy the FRPP timing gear kit, then get the Cloyes gears if you are going to dial in the cams. Don't forget the Cobra Engineering tensioner, then upgrade your oil pump to the Shelby unit (plus billet gears) and then get the spacers for the primary tensioners.

Every detail you need is all in one place with all those parts:

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/236857-Aluminator-Gibtec-Build

Users who are viewing this thread