Help, pulley or belt noise

Kobreh

Established Member
I have done searches, but have not found a definitive answer for my problem. It seemed like some guys with upper pulleys and lower aluminum pulleys were having the same problem I am.

I have a 2.59" upper pulley, 90mm idler, tune, etc. I do NOT have a lower pulley.

Lately, I have been hearing a chirping noise at idle and almost a squealing noise when switching gears when the engine is not fully warm and when it's cool or cold outside. The pulley and idler have been installed for almost 5k miles and the noise just started lately. I bought a stethoscope and tried to pinpoint the noise, but could not. :bored:

Is the belt slipping? I was thinking it was the tensioner, but since I can't pinpoint the problem, it has to be the belt???

Will a Thumpp tensioner fix my issue? Or changing the spring in the stock tensioner?

Idle noise | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks

realm187

Vaporized
Established Member
Mine does the same thing when I changed the pulley and idler and even the same noise. Im interested in knowing this also, because I was assured it was normal and their was nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
any belt dust around the blower snout?

could be the belt making the noise

rdsnk46

Established Member
Bent factory S/C belt tensioner.

Pull off the resivoir to access your S/C tensioner. Remove the tensioner and inspect the pulley for a grease or dirty mark. If you find dirt on the tensioner idler pulley, your not making full contact with the belt to the tensioner idler.

Replace with new. This happend to me and i was going crazy because the squeak was not coming from the area of the issue. So I basically started with the belt tensioner and it solved my problems.

How many miles you guy with the issue have on the odometer?

Kobreh

Established Member
Bent factory S/C belt tensioner.

Pull off the resivoir to access your S/C tensioner. Remove the tensioner and inspect the pulley for a grease or dirty mark. If you find dirt on the tensioner idler pulley, your not making full contact with the belt to the tensioner idler.

Replace with new. This happend to me and i was going crazy because the squeak was not coming from the area of the issue. So I basically started with the belt tensioner and it solved my problems.

How many miles you guy with the issue have on the odometer?

I thought it might be the tensioner. I just figured if it was the tensioner making the noise, I would be able to tell using the stethoscope, so that made me think it's the belt causing the issue.

Did you replace with a factory tensioner? I've seen people that have similar issues issue replace with a more robust tensioner, like the Thumpp. I think $400 for a tensioner is a little steep though.

I'm just a hair under 9k miles on my DD and no issues until now.

Last edited:

shooter23

Established Member
I had the same problem with mine.

I have a deep list of mods done, and after I got it back, it was chirping.
I was using the steeda tensioner for the S/C.
29674_531099338420_290900017_1752919_752246_n.jpg

I had them warranty the steeda tensioner, noise went away for about a day, then it was back. I checked everything, and in the end, I ended up replacing the belt.

Since then, noise gone. Been about 2500 miles since, and its been perfect.

I would start with a belt, before you start changing out tensioners and pulleys. (Belts are alllot cheaper!)

The belts are prone to collecting metal particles in them, or dirt in the ribs, and this contacting the pullleys can create the noise. Not saying that it will fix it, but its a cheaper option to try than changing pulleys and tensioners.

My .02

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ive been told you can squirt some water on the belt to help diagnose. If it the squeaking goes away you know its belt related (although it could still have to do with belt tension)

rdsnk46

Established Member
I had the same problem with mine.

I have a deep list of mods done, and after I got it back, it was chirping.
I was using the steeda tensioner for the S/C.
29674_531099338420_290900017_1752919_752246_n.jpg

I had them warranty the steeda tensioner, noise went away for about a day, then it was back. I checked everything, and in the end, I ended up replacing the belt.

Since then, noise gone. Been about 2500 miles since, and its been perfect.

I would start with a belt, before you start changing out tensioners and pulleys. (Belts are alllot cheaper!)

The belts are prone to collecting metal particles in them, or dirt in the ribs, and this contacting the pullleys can create the noise. Not saying that it will fix it, but its a cheaper option to try than changing pulleys and tensioners.

My .02

You dont have to replace the tensioner, just remove and inspect it. If a part of the idler has a ring of dirt on either edge, I would replace it. If it looks clean and even on both sides then re-install.

It takes me about 10 mins. tops to do this, it will be an easy start to the diag. process of elimination.

:rolling:

cgouzoulis

SNARFSNARF
Established Member
I had this problem on my 04......It ended up being the aux. pulley.....More specifically the barings inside the aux. pulley....sprayed wd 40 on it and it would go away fro a lil...I swapped to a metco aux. an the sound went away for good...

denial

Established Member
I know exactly what it is. Take my word for it or not, I had the same problem. I have the aftermarket 90mm pulley and that's what it was. Believe it or not, this was a brand new double bearing unit and it was causing my belt to squeal.

Matter of fact, i had a brand new green belt on and it was causing my belt to slip from 15.6 psi to 12 during a dyno run. I took it off and the noise went away along with the slip.

Users who are viewing this thread