HELP!!! Problems with Cobra Jet Manifold!!!

intricate32

Established Member
Hey guys,

I need some help from some of the resident experts here. I just had the Cobra Jet Manifold, SCJ Mono-Blade Throttle Body, and FRPP CAI for the setup installed last night. My car has always run perfect and never given me issues. Since installing it, intermittently if I get any more than about 60% into the throttle it throws the following code and puts the car into Limp mode:

P061B- Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance.

I called BAMA (they have been providing me tunes since 2012 and I've never had an issue) and they said my install was done incorrectly. They said there must be something installed incorrectly to the throttle body. From everything I'm reading this error has to do with the MAF. So that doesn't make sense to me. Also, I've provided some pics of the wiring harness and throttle body and neither I or my mechanic (I work at a dealership....) can find an issue.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=731108663645248&set=pcb.731109046978543&type=1&theater

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ensure it isn't a hardware issue (which doesn't make sense to me because the car pulls just fine half of the time)? I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks!

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
It doesn't make sense because it's a problem with the tune. I assume this was a mail order tune? With that hardware you really need a dyno tune. I've heard the SCJ tb can be difficult to tune if the tuner doesn't have a lot of experience with it. Good luck!

intricate32

Established Member
It doesn't make sense because it's a problem with the tune. I assume this was a mail order tune? With that hardware you really need a dyno tune. I've heard the SCJ tb can be difficult to tune if the tuner doesn't have a lot of experience with it. Good luck!

This is what I felt but they are insisting that it's not the tune that's the issue and that they've done plenty of Cobra Jet set ups. I just had my tech go over the install again and he says that its all perfect. Do you think I should push harder for BAMA to do something (yes mail order) or just chalk my $400 for a tuner a loss and go get someone to dyno tune it?

intricate32

Established Member
I'd call Lund on this one. It may just be s little out of Paul's tune file database

That's what I was considering I just am lax to do that and give up my tunes for life, AND potentially not have a working car "if" the problem actually is something with the install.

Also, you would think a huge company like BAMA that sells all these parts would have a working tune for it....

86Fbody

Established Member
That's what I was considering I just am lax to do that and give up my tunes for life, AND potentially not have a working car "if" the problem actually is something with the install.

Also, you would think a huge company like BAMA that sells all these parts would have a working tune for it....

That's like saying just because Starbucks sells a ton of coffee they know how to make it, you can also see if AED can help you out.

intricate32

Established Member
That's like saying just because Starbucks sells a ton of coffee they know how to make it, you can also see if AED can help you out.

Point well taken. If the concencus is that a different tune (Lund vs. AED in my mind) will fix it I'm completely in.

darreng505

Established Member
It needs to be dyno tuned. The MAF settings in the fuel map for your upper rpms appear to be wrong. And of course Bama want to point the finger. If they don't know how to fix it. Oldest game in the book.

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
Hey guys,

I need some help from some of the resident experts here. I just had the Cobra Jet Manifold, SCJ Mono-Blade Throttle Body, and FRPP CAI for the setup installed last night. My car has always run perfect and never given me issues. Since installing it, intermittently if I get any more than about 60% into the throttle it throws the following code and puts the car into Limp mode:

P061B- Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance.

I called BAMA (they have been providing me tunes since 2012 and I've never had an issue) and they said my install was done incorrectly. They said there must be something installed incorrectly to the throttle body. From everything I'm reading this error has to do with the MAF. So that doesn't make sense to me. Also, I've provided some pics of the wiring harness and throttle body and neither I or my mechanic (I work at a dealership....) can find an issue.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=731108663645248&set=pcb.731109046978543&type=1&theater

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ensure it isn't a hardware issue (which doesn't make sense to me because the car pulls just fine half of the time)? I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks!

Hey-Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with the setup. I just spoke with Ryan at Bama as well as reviewed the call and it sounds like he had asked to have you double check the harness as it needed to be re-pinned and then get back to us last night with your findings. We've tuned a slew of these setups (Even on Justin's Project car) without any issues. Did you happen to try any of the other tunes like Ryan had asked as well? It's possible that something could've went wrong but we checked over the tune with Bama and all the parts were accommodated for. Moving forward I'd like to get a datalog sent over to Bama as I want you running your at 100% Shoot them a call when you can and they'll get you fixed up!

Bama has tuned hundreds of identical setups and they haven't heard anything like this occur. They send out thousands of tunes and build them all from the ground up . They're not just "canned" tunes, they're built custom by the Bama team. Every once in a while it's possible that they'll mess one up but this one is just odd!

intricate32

Established Member
Hey-Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with the setup. I just spoke with Ryan at Bama as well as reviewed the call and it sounds like he had asked to have you double check the harness as it needed to be re-pinned and then get back to us last night with your findings. We've tuned a slew of these setups (Even on Justin's Project car) without any issues. Did you happen to try any of the other tunes like Ryan had asked as well? It's possible that something could've went wrong but we checked over the tune with Bama and all the parts were accommodated for. Moving forward I'd like to get a datalog sent over to Bama as I want you running your at 100% Shoot them a call when you can and they'll get you fixed up!

Bama has tuned hundreds of identical setups and they haven't heard anything like this occur. They send out thousands of tunes and build them all from the ground up . They're not just "canned" tunes, they're built custom by the Bama team. Every once in a while it's possible that they'll mess one up but this one is just odd!

Alex,

I called twice yesterday and I tried everything they asked me to do. Changed between tunes (same issue), had my Tech (again I work at a dealership) triple check the install (no vacuum leaks, wiring is in the correct order and pins are in perfect, everything is connected correctly and tightly). We took it out again and same exact issue. Some other funny things is the car goes into limp mode almost immediately at night/early morning (when its colder it seems). Another thing my tech pointed out (which leads me to believe its the tune again), is the car still skip shifts first to fourth (even though clearly in my tune pdf I selected the option to negate this).

Honestly all I want is this fixed and my car running right.

Last edited:

intricate32

Established Member
Just spoke with Ryan from BAMA. They are going to send me a new tune to try and datalog the vehicle to see if they can figure out what the issue is. Will update later today. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Last edited:

intricate32

Established Member
Maybe it the SCT device corrupting the tune when loading. Can they send you a different unit with a freshly written tune? Not an expert but sounds like there is an error in one of the calculation tables.

I didn't even know this was a possibility but I'll definitely bring it up to them if the new tune reacts the same.

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
Alex,

I called twice yesterday and I tried everything they asked me to do. Changed between tunes (same issue), had my Tech (again I work at a dealership) triple check the install (no vacuum leaks, wiring is in the correct order and pins are in perfect, everything is connected correctly and tightly). We took it out again and same exact issue. Some other funny things is the car goes into limp mode almost immediately at night/early morning (when its colder it seems). Another thing my tech pointed out (which leads me to believe its the tune again), is the car still skip shifts first to fourth (even though clearly in my tune pdf I selected the option to negate this).

Honestly all I want is this fixed and my car running right.

Hey-Thanks for clearing that up and keeping me in the loop on this-That's definitely on the irregular but they're going to get you fixed up! If for any reason we think that the device has something internal going on we'll have it replaced no questions asked! We're both here to help so hang in there! Keep me updated!

Alex

intricate32

Established Member
Hey-Thanks for clearing that up and keeping me in the loop on this-That's definitely on the irregular but they're going to get you fixed up! If for any reason we think that the device has something internal going on we'll have it replaced no questions asked! We're both here to help so hang in there! Keep me updated!

Alex

Just loaded the revised tune. Same issues...

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Just loaded the revised tune. Same issues...

I'd recheck the TB connector and ensure you don't have a loose pin there. My car kept going into limp mode after I installed my TVS and I traced it down to a loose pin in the pig TB pig tail. I found it by ohming out the wires and whilst twisting on them, the wire read open. Once I re-crimped the pin, no more lip mode.

intricate32

Established Member
:rolleyes: :nonono:

Email Shaun at AED....

I spoke with him on the phone. He seems to know exactly the problem I'm having and it looks like we are going to get together for a Dyno tune (his shop is only 150 miles from me). He even offered to send me a base tune to help get me going. Class act from all I can tell and looking forward to working with him.

Users who are viewing this thread