Help on Basic Questions

NickD805

Hey, I have a few friends that are pretty into their Mustangs and they directed me to this website for info. I am currently looking to buy an '03 Cobra with low miles [ x< 50k]. I have $30k plus a little over depending on how much I can sell my current car for. My whole plan is to find a Cobra around $20k so that I'll have enough left over to purchase a twin turbo kit. However, I'm not very educated on this subject and decided to ask you guys after reading several threads talking about changing other parts of the car for the turbos.
Starting from a stock '03 Cobra, what would I have to buy and how much would it cost to have a final result of a Twin Turbo '03 Cobra?

If your selling or know of an '03 Cobra being sold in soutern California that is within my price-range let me know.
Thanks

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Wait about 2 yrs and they will be back down to $20k

Plan on dropping minimum $15k to TT an 03 and have it last a season of driving.

Welcome to the site :)

Jpjr

Established Member
Hello. It is worth the disclaimer. TT is the most time-consuming, complex, and expensive mod you can do to an '03 Cobra. It requires reworking of multiple components, lots of chassis and suspension mods, and a new fuel system. You will also need gauges, tuning software, multiple dyno runs to get the car streetable.

All that said, my kit just arrived last week. The kits include the basic components, but each car and owner is different and there will undoubtedly be custom mods involved.

If the '03 is stock and in good condition, your realistically looking at $20k to do it right. That includes every aspect of the car. Don't let us discourage you though, if your passionate enough to put in the time and money you will have one of the top 1% fastest muscle cars on the street.

TRBO VNM

as stated, you won't find a good condition 03 cobra for 20k unless someone is just trying to unload it for some reason. the prices have settled with the departure of SVT from Ford. So it will be a while before you see any drastic reduction in sales prices. there are some people even looking for mid 30's still for low mileage rare color terminators. I am sure they will be for sale for a long time, but you get the idea.

also, like the others pointed out it would cost a decent amount above 10k for a twin turbo kit from start to finish. it all depends on how much you want to put into it above about beyond the standard kit. Postban is going nuts with a lot of custom stuff and it is going to look amazing, but you have to pay for all that. just getting the kit and the necessities you can probably do it between the 10-15k range from what I have seen.

a single kit you could save a little bit more money, but not a substantial amount. I have about 10k into my complete system. that is turbo kit, fuel, suspension and other little things like boost controller, tuning, etc.

also think about who is installing it all. you can save some money there, but be prepared to spend some time and deal with headaches if things come up and don't work out perfect. I have heard of shops charging 2k to 2500 for the install of some of these kits.

I just priced out a setup for someone complete, installed with IRS upgrades and some other things for like $13k.

you really need to be passionate about it and dedicated to knowing what you want and willing to put the effort and money into it. the reward is amazing though. I love it and wish I would have done it from the beginning.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
To my door, my HP twin turbo kit was $7700 ish. On top of that, I added a boost controller ($400 eboost), tuning (SCT pro racer package w/xcal2) $800, SCT 2800 maf $250 and a DJwide band commander ($450), DFX clutch setup with 26 spline input shaft (eh, $800 or so). No fancy guages, just the wideband. The kit includes a boost a pump and 60lb injectors with harnesses for fuel upgrades. My car drives as good as OEM and makes a hell of a lot more power. This is pretty much the bare minimum you're gonna spend to run, and run well. You don't need the pro racer package though, but you'll pay for a tune either way.

Users who are viewing this thread