Help mom pick a new car.

Common

Established Member
danger0us said:
She is torn between these 3 sedans: 2007 honda civic, 2007 ford fusion, and 2007 pontiac g6. Anyone own one of these or have any advice? input? These are all 15-16K.

Fussion AWD ftw.

CSD

Banned
danger0us said:
She is torn between these 3 sedans: 2007 honda civic, 2007 ford fusion, and 2007 pontiac g6. Anyone own one of these or have any advice? input? These are all 15-16K.
Picking a car is like picking a girl, gotta test drive it first and see which one well you know.

danger0us

Established Member
lol thats the problem, she doesnt want to deal with dealers and such, she wants to walk in and buy it. She is going from a crown vic to whichever she chooses, which in her terms, will be light years ahead of the vic lol She is just happy she is getting a new car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i tried to get my mom into a 350Z, she hated the seats. Tried to get her into a GTO but during the test drive it broke down (alternator). Tried to get her into a 05+ GT but no. tried every nice car at every dealership and nothing. i gave up, was like "fine, just keep your freaking pos neon (02 se) then!"

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Fusion, Ford did their homework with everyhting except the styling, it could be better.

danger0us

Established Member
Sound pretty good, she actually likes the styling of the fusion over the other 2. She was leaning towards the civic for reliability and resale value, the g6 for room, and wasnt sure about the fusion because she had never seen or heard of one before i showed her. Is the awd standard? she would be getting a base of whatever car she picks.

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Just out of curiosity, what year model Crown Vic does she have? Also, does it have the performance package on it? Personally, I think she'll probably miss the room of the bigger car and if she wants something that accelerates and handles better, the newer Vics are considerably better performers than the older models plus they are built more solid and have some good options.

As a side note, I was driving the Vic yesterday and had parked at the eye doctor's office. I came out and there is this Volvo S40 sitting beside me. They had a child seat in the middle of the backseat and the amount of room in the backseat was so tiny it seemed obscene to think that anyone with a child would deny themselves so much interior volume just to drive a Volvo. There was no way that an average adult could have fit on either side of the child seat. It would have been tight for any older kids back there.

Anyway, if she has to have something smaller, I'd consider options like perhaps those above and also mention the Saturn Sky. If she could swing the extra $$$, maybe a Lincoln MKZ (Fusion sibling) because they are very handsome cars and have the 3.5L V6 in them.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
another Lincoln MZK fan. or the new ford taurus/ford 500, they certainly have room and sit u up nice and high. Before i bought my focus, i was screwing around with the fusion and taurus, fusion has some mentionable room, the taurus is freakin huge family sedan. id say either could be a nice buy. The fusion was pushed for me to buy by everyone i knew that had one!

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
The only problem with the Five-Hundred is if she wants some get up and go power. The 3.0L isn't strong enough for that size car. While I was at the dealership, I drove a '05 Taurus, '05 Five-Hundred, '05 Crown Vic (standard) and the '05 Crown Vic HPP.

The Taurus was quicker than the Five-Hundred because they had the same engine, but the Five-Hundred was heavier. The Five-Hundred was head and shoulders above the Taurus in terms of refinement. I'd myself put the standard Crown Vic and Five-Hundred on an even plane there. While the Crown Vic's dash is a bit dated, it is still functional and not cheaply assembled. The Five-Hundred had a nicer dash layout. But both CV and 500 are very quiet and comfortable.

It was the Vic's Handling/Performance package (HPP) that put the Five-Hundred away. Factor in the rear wheel, tried and true 4.6L/auto combo and it just made the most sense...plus more usable room.

Those things were important to me, however if size doesn't matter, I'd say the Fusion will be a good choice and the Taurus has more grunt now with the 3.5 so that's an option too if you don't mind being a first-year guinea pig. Of course, that's what they made warranties for.

danger0us

Established Member
Her crown vic a 1997 i believe, she wants to get out of the big car and into something a bit smaller, hence her options. She drives far to work, about an hour drive, so MPG is a factor. All three of her choices will be much better than her current car in that department. She dosnt cae about horsepower, she drives slow, so she would go with the i-4 in the fusion.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I've heard the I-4 is a good choice for commuting. I will say that the Vic's V8 gets better gas mileage than it used to, but I understand her mindset. If she's getting a smaller car, try to at least make sure she gets side airbags for added protection. They can make a big difference in survivability and if she's on the road, that is increasing her chances for an accident.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
From what many of the magazines have said is that the 500 is probably one of the best cars out there when it comes to usability and comfort, the interior and trunk are absolutely enormous. The only downfall for it was the styling and power, I actually thought the 500 was very nice looking but was down on power before the 3.5. If your mom is looking for something comfortable and fuel efficient I would point her to a 4 cylinder Fusion or 500.

Users who are viewing this thread