Help Me Please!!

4vRedone

Banned
So on my way home from picking up a car with my buddy (i drove him in my cobra)
Out of no where my car just lost all power and started sputtering really badly (huge lack of power pedal all the way to the floor) After i got off the freeway 5 miles later it kinda went away, So i live about 8 miles off the freeway as i was heading home every light i came to a complete stop i had to practically give the car full gas it would choke out and sputter and take forever to get up to speed i could smell raw fuel... What in the wide world of sports could be causing this only code taht popped up was lean bank 1 and 2 and it didnt even set a dtc it was a pending code.

4vRedone

Banned
Oh yeah and car seems to rev fine in neutral for some reason i just bumped up my rev limiter as well dont know if this would cause an issue

4vRedone

Banned
Really? I was leaning more towards fuel pump. Its original with 117 on it. But Ill test fuel pressure what should it be stock off the shrader valve?
DO you think it would just start doing this out of no where to?

Metal Head

Established Member
I use to have a '97 GT that did the same thing. Coil pack went bad out of nowhere. It would run okay at idle and light loads but under mid to WOT it would miss like crazy. Fuel pressure is 39 psi with the vac line to the regulator disconnected. Since you can smell gas I assumed it's not getting burned which is why I suspect an ignition problem.

4vRedone

Banned
yeah thats also what i was thinking but this was under any type of acceleration too not just wot or heavier load. I put some msd ones i had in that i was trying to sell right now but the car kept hitting a wall at 5500 idk if those msd coil packs were bad already tho i cannot remember...

4vRedone

Banned
Could it be just one coil causing all this or you think both or what?
Is there a way to test our coil packs with DMM?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Could be fuel (pressure, filter), IAC, ignition (but I doubt that very much). Check your fuel pressure because to do so is free.

CamCobra10

Established Member
yeah thats also what i was thinking but this was under any type of acceleration too not just wot or heavier load. I put some msd ones i had in that i was trying to sell right now but the car kept hitting a wall at 5500 idk if those msd coil packs were bad already tho i cannot remember...
Msd 's are horrible had the same problem with my coil packs, bought the screamin deamon's and never had a problem since

4vRedone

Banned
Where can i pick up a set. Also will any coil pack out of a waste spark ford ignition work? Like outta a junk yard lol

Helomech74

Established Member
Have you checked fuel pressure yet? Why throw money at the car when as already stated, checking the fuel pressure is free. I would do that before buying new coils or other parts. If it does turn out being coils, I would just run stockers.

4vRedone

Banned
Have you checked fuel pressure yet? Why throw money at the car when as already stated, checking the fuel pressure is free. I would do that before buying new coils or other parts. If it does turn out being coils, I would just run stockers.

well i will soon as i find my darn gauge for checking fuel pressure i dont know where i put it.
also i already replaced the coils with another set i had laying around and it seems to be running fine most of the time every once in the while ill punch it and itll hit a wall at 5500 or so

4vRedone

Banned
So the problem seems like it went away i think im not sure what happend but i was thinking should i just replace the fuel pump anyways its got 117 on it...

Users who are viewing this thread