Help me pick an upper pulley

myslowstang

Established Member
I've been accumulating parts for the last 6 months and I've finally started to modding the Cobra. It started off mostly stock, the only mod that was done was a 2.8" upper pulley. Now things are changing...

The new parts:

MAC long tube headers (now installed)
MAC o/r h-pipe (now installed)
MAC catback (now installed)
JLT next generation high boost intake
Accufab TB
BA3000 MAF
60# injectors
BAP
SFC (now installed)
IRS brace
Coilover kit (now installed)

I'm getting around to putting everything else together before I get my car tuned. I'll also be doing a home port job on the blower and changing the upper pulley. My question is which pulley would you guys recommend with my setup? I was planning on going with a RR 2.65 upper pulley with a 100mm idler but I've heard mixed reviews on the RR upper pulleys. Maybe go to a BilletFlow 2.76"? I don't really want to go to a lower pulley. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

myslowstang

Established Member
Here's a few pics when I installed the headers. It look longer then I was planning lol

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

Grimster

Established Member
you wont see a significant difference going from 2.8 down to a 2.76.

Why are you against a lower pulley? From what Ive read here, that is what really makes the ported eaton shine (especially in the torque numbers!)

myslowstang

Established Member
I don't want to do a lower pulley mainly because of cost. Lower pulley + alternator pulley + belt + I'd still like to get an idler pulley... stuff added up very quickly. If I go to a 2.65" pulley with an idler I can use the same belt (currently running 2.8" with no idler pulley) and save a little bit in cost. A lower pulley alone will cost more then a new upper and an idler.

myslowstang

Established Member
The only reason I want to change my upper pulley is because I want to get an idler pulley. Since I have to change my belt for that why not change the upper pulley and use the current belt if I can. That'll keep cost low and give me a little more power in the end plus I can get an "ultra grip" version upper pulley.

RS22

Established Member
How's that exhaust setup sound? I want to get an O/R H w/ some 2 chamber flows like I used to have on my SB cobra but the mac mufflers sound good too. W/ LTs it might be deadly lol.

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
you will see a big gain off the lower pulley and upper. id reconsider and get a lower. only do this once so you only have to get tuned once.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Get the EATON ported by POSI to match those mods you have going!!! 2.76" upper with a 4# lower will make a huge difference!!! ...If you stick with the stock lower, get the non-slip BF 2.76" :D

myslowstang

Established Member
Get the EATON ported by POSI to match those mods you have going!!! 2.76" upper with a 4# lower will make a huge difference!!! ...If you stick with the stock lower, get the non-slip BF 2.76" :D

How much boost are you seeing with a 2.76 uppper and 4# lower?

I've heard lots of good things about posi but I'm not gonna pay someone to port my blower when I can just do it myself. Yeah, they can get more out of it with their port but I could do a home port job and put a lower pulley on for the cost of their port job.

I've never done a port job before but a friend of mine told me "This isn't the matrix. You don't just plug in and know everything, you have to actually go out there and try things to do things to learn and gain experience."
So I'm gonna give it a try.

cobracide

Established Member
I would go 6# lower, better wrap on the larger upper. You can go with a 2.9x and be almost identical in boost with 2.76 upper / 4# Lower. Seventeen ish or more pounds of boost maybe. Hope you didn't buy that Accufab yet - go Dragon. A Port 2.90/6# lower with the TB/Plenum would be the best scenario for low 500s. Side by side - stock to Dragon.. thirty HP for me. I hear Posi ported stocker does pretty good too.

Last edited:

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member

I've heard lots of good things about posi but I'm not gonna pay someone to port my blower when I can just do it myself. Yeah, they can get more out of it with their port but I could do a home port job and put a lower pulley on for the cost of their port job.

I've never done a port job before but a friend of mine told me "This isn't the matrix. You don't just plug in and know everything, you have to actually go out there and try things to do things to learn and gain experience."

I'm seeing just under 17 psi with the combo & my POSI port!! :rockon:

nycarpenter

Established Member

I too vote for a Posi Port and a 2.76 upper only. You can port your own if you wish but like the pizza box states You tried the rest now try the best. :)

myslowstang

Established Member
I too vote for a Posi Port and a 2.76 upper only. You can port your own if you wish but like the pizza box states You tried the rest now try the best. :)

So you trust a pizza box more then yourself? lol That's sad

Like I said a port job cost $500+ if I send it out for someone else to do. If I port my blower myself (even if only half as good) and add a lower pulley I'll get more hp and tq with less cost so why not try to port the blower myself?

Doing it myself is cost less + more power (with money saved for lower pulley) + the experience of doing it
vs paying someone to do it and costing more and getting less power. What the advantage of having someone else do it?

Why are people so scared to try to port a blower?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
So you trust a pizza box more then yourself? lol That's sad

Like I said a port job cost $500+ if I send it out for someone else to do. If I port my blower myself (even if only half as good) and add a lower pulley I'll get more hp and tq with less cost so why not try to port the blower myself?

Doing it myself is cost less + more power (with money saved for lower pulley) + the experience of doing it
vs paying someone to do it and costing more and getting less power. What the advantage of having someone else do it?

Why are people so scared to try to port a blower?

Why the hell are you asking questions then?!?! Just do it and report back. I swear people's kids:nonono:

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
Posi has shown proven gains with his port for one; however, it doesn't hurt to try if you think you can do a good job. If your going to stay ported I would probaly do a lower as well and spin that eaton to let it shine, especially with all your other supporting mods. Believe me, the desire for more power will never end so you mys well do something that increases the power a little more than just your upper pulley right now. Just my 2 cents.

myslowstang

Established Member
Why the hell are you asking questions then?!?! Just do it and report back. I swear people's kids:nonono:

The question I was asking was about pulley size, not about which ported blower I should go with. I'm doing my own port, no question about it. I was just trying to get a better idea on which pulley I should go with. I swear people's kids:nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread