Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
So I need to get a new dig camera.. I think I am looking at these two.. help me pick... people who know stuff about the topic only please, because I don't.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-H55-SteadyShot-Stabilization/dp/B0030MS5XY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284253445&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 14.1MP Digital Camera with 10x Wide Angle Optical Zoom with SteadyShot Image Stabilization and 3.0 inch LCD (Silver): Electronics[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FH20-Digital-Stabilized-2-7-Inch/dp/B003962DXE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1284253765&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Black): Electronics[/ame]

I will end up paying 229.99 for the sony or 150 for the panasonic. Is the sony really worth the difference/

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Best point and shoot bar non IMO is the cannon PowerShot S90. It's an awesoem camera. Although it costs more than both of those, it's well worth it. I got mine a few months ago and love it.

However, if you're price range is lower than that i don't know what to suggest but i will still tell you to look into Cannons as i have found them to be the best over-all cameras around.

oldmodman

Established Member
I voted Sony, only due to it's having the larger (3.0 inch) LCD.

You would be surprised how much easier that slightly larger screen is to see.

But I don't know much about either camera.

But I currently am using a Canon SD1000. Two years old with absolutely no problems.

Last edited:

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Another vote for Canon here. We have both a Canon Powershot, as well as a 50D, and were very happy with both! Dont get caught up in megapixel ratings either. Our Powershot is only a 7.1MP, but it take very nice pics for a point and shoot.

Also, some of the powershots can be hacked to take pics in RAW format as well.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Another vote for Canon here. We have both a Canon Powershot, as well as a 50D, and were very happy with both! Dont get caught up in megapixel ratings either. Our Powershot is only a 7.1MP, but it take very nice pics for a point and shoot.

Also, some of the powershots can be hacked to take pics in RAW format as well.

This.

Megapixles aren't the only thing. The PowerShot S90 that i have is "only" 10mp. However, the lens and shutterspeed and zoom and it's other settings are much more beneficial. Also, to supliment Nvr_Spds' point, the S90 can actually take pictures in RAW format WITHOUT needing to be hacked and after hearing that i went out and bought it lol. I'm no pro photographer or anything (not even close) but i love to research what i buy to the best of my abilities. Hope this helps!

:beer:

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
I was moreso looking at the difference in the optical zoom on each. To find higher level specs on the canons it seems it will blow my price range out of the water. I do not/will not use this all that regularly (vacations, shows etc), so I don't wish to go head first into a purchase. I did take a look at canons after all of this overwhelming feedback and see the SX130IS appears to have decent specs and is within a reasonable realm of my price range.. anyone with thoughts on that model?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX130IS-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B003ZSHNG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284389018&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD: Electronics[/ame]

CraigsSnake

Established Member
I've always had a sony until recently I moved to a nikon D5000, but the sony's have always been good cameras to me. Here is some pictures I took with my sony point and shoot:

AHOC.gif

FUBL.gif

QXAN.gif

VQXV.gif

SIAD.gif

DSC01930.gif

DSC01903.gif

DSC01624.gif

DSC01627.gif

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a Canon PowerShot (can't remember which one) a year or so ago and didn't like the quality of the photos. I then went with a Panasonic Lumix TZ-3. Loved it. Sold it last year and bought my wife a Canon (not sure of the model). Her Canon is easy to use but the photos are only so-so. For our upcoming CA vacation I bought a new Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 (same as the European TZ-10) and I'm super happy with it. Great photos and I love that I can go manual control if I so choose. Also has built-in GPS for labeling your photos.

As you can see in any camera thread, everyone will have their opinions and favorites. I prefer the Panasonic for photo image quality. Others will prefer other brands. It's good that there are so many choices available, but it can get really confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread