help me identify if my transmission is a t-45 or 3650

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
so i have a 2001 cobra vert thats been having trouble getting into 5th gear so today i changed the fluid and while on the lift noticed the trans said borg warner on the passenger side. If im not mistaken didnt borg warner build the t-45 also isnt the drain plug suppose to be on the bottom of the 3650 cause my drain plug was on the passenger side really low not actually on the bottom like i thought it was suppose to be. i have a funny feeling ive been hosed by the dealer who sold me the car he told me he rebuilt the tranny but i think he just went to the salvage and got a t-45 not knowing which tranny this car was suppose to have in it. Now im afraid im .25 low on fluid in the tranny if it is a t-45 and im completely lost on really knowing what has been done to my car. I HATE LIARS

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
well i just went outside and finished filling up my tranny since i assumed it was still the original 3650 and only put 3.25 qts in.i just put another .25-.3 qts in it to make sure it was full. the tranny seems to be shifting much better and 5th is much easier to shift into its not kicking it out of gear anymore. So do u guys think the t-45 or 3650 is better i checked the seals and can tell the tranny in my car has been torn apart so who knows maybe this tranny is solid and will hold up.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
That is an older 96-98 T45 that has had the tailshaft swapped for the 99+ digital speedo system.

You can see the RTV sealant is not a stock seal job.

Ken

BTW, I sincerely hope that you put in Dexron Mercon III only and not any other kind of fliud. If you did use a diff fluid, I suggest to do a search on this site to find out why.

Last edited:

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
i put in royal purple max-atf . I looked into everything you guys have been saying about fluids but i was already having problems with 5th gear so i just said hell with it maybe ill get lucky and royal purple will fix it . since ive changed fluids the problem has gone away and my transmission has been quiet not doing any crazy whining or getting stuck in reverse. if it starts too act up i will change it but until then i will just find out for myself what fluid works and what doesnt.

Users who are viewing this thread