Help me find my electrical gremlin...battery light on

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Alright...I've about had enough of the cobra...seriously considering selling it. First I'm on the highway and my gas gauge craps out on me saying I got a quarter tank and next thing I know the car keeps stalling out and I'm out of gas...I know I should have paid closer attention to the gauge, but still come on cobra.

Then on another ride the battery light finally comes on after it's had a noticeable low charge. Now this isn't the first problem with the battery. It's been having charging problems for awhile now so I replaced the alternator. After this, it still had problems so I took it to Ford. The mechanic diagnosed it as a bad ground and cleaned them up and it seemed to charge/hold a charge fine for about three months. Now here I am again and it's doing the same thing(battery light finally came on today). Basically it seems that the alternator only works when it wants to, sometimes charging the battery but most of the time not. It's really weird, sometimes when the battery has a low voltage I can restart it and then it's like the alternator kicks on and starts charging it. Any ideas? I'm really annoyed with the car and am considering selling it...even worse a camaro ss caught my eye the other day...

Last edited:

tt54l32v

Established Member
sell it, sounds like your tired of it and you expect it to run forever. you just thought you had problems now go get you an SS. ah just playing, start back at this ground he fixed. make sure you have a good battery (like test it with a good tester) a good alt thats not just putting out volts but amps i had one the other day putting out 13.9 volts only put out 19 amps though

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
^ yup what he said dont give up on the cobra once you get it running perfect you will love it again its all happened to us saying we want to sell it, lol:beer: but yeah chech over grounds and make sure every thing is tight and have the alternator tested

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words...it can be a discouraging car to cruise in as a daily driver. Although you are right, at times it can be a real blast to have the chance to drive one everyday...just gotta keep with it. Once I get a job (currently searching) hopefully I can turn it around and get some real power runnin through it...

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
dont give up, once you fix it there will be something else to fix.. Then when you think its done.. there is more to do...

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
^ yup thats what happens with good ol american power lol but its all in fun:rolling: yeah dont worry its probably nothing major its likley to be ground or bad alternator or even a bas weak battery that caused the alternator to work extra hard and that makes the alternator go bad even a new one. if you go through every thing first check battery, alternator, and grounds if all check good it might be an excessive drain somewhere, but im sure you will find it best of luck man, i know my battery used to drain every week if i didnt use it it took me 2 years to find it was my audio fuse circuit draining my power likely a bad mach 460 amp front or back one. hang in there you will find it:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread