Help me figure this out....Im so confused.

Stinger99

Established Member
This will be a project as monies make them self avalible to me...But I hope to have done by the end of next summer.

I am so confused on what path to take my 93 in ways of power and handling...

Power wise, I was thinking of 4 routes, Each route includes a Dart Block with forged Internals and all that good stuff.

1. 331 stroked with the heads/cam/intake.

2. 331 stroked with super charger + heads/cam/intake.

3. 331 stroked with a turbo + heads/cam/intake.

4. 302 with kenny bell + heads/cam/blower. (love the sound of the kenny bell)

Now im not looking to make any major power with the last 3 options, I know the first option will give me about 350-380 to the wheels, so with the last 3 options im looking to make about 450-475 to the wheels with low boost.

I am also looking for drivablity, thats why so low with the HP numbers, If you guys understand what im saying.

As far as handling go's, I have no idea where to start. I guess im looking for a best of both worlds kinda.. (Strip & Road Course)

I was also thinking about switching to a IRS, I really liked it in my 99 cobra.
I know they dont really do good at the strip.

What do you guys think. I like option 4 for some reason but, I wanted your guys opionin.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Option 2

Its been down a thousand times, and is proven to make some CRAZY hp Its all in the heads/cam/intake/blower you choose.

I've seen mild setups with a highly pullied S-Trim make just shy of 600rwhp. However, some better heads/cam/intake with a YSI, and you will be looking at 800.

As much as I love a turbo, I wouldn't go that route. From the sounds of what you say, I would go with a H/C/I that was somewhat mild so it drives nice and easy, and then a T-Trim or better yet a YSI-Trim for boost.

4valvemach

Established Member
OPTION 2

Like said before its a proven combination for great HP/TQ and still very reliable.
The kenne bell has no cooling method and I think it looks like out of place on a 5.0.

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Most guys will tell you to go with the biggest cubes possible, it unshrouds the valves, etc.

Since you don't seem to have a ton of cash availible now, why not just start with a nice NA stroked 302 (whatever cubes you decide) with all the goodies and add a power adder later?

Stinger99

Established Member
Buddha93,

Thats what im going to do, Im just try to figure out a plan for this car so when i do have cash handy I'll buy what i need for it. I'm just trying to cross my T's and dot my I's...
it just seems better to my to have a plan layed out.

buddha93

Established Member
Well, keep in mind if you go with a turbo, it's more labor intensive and you'll have to completely rework you exhaust. With a blower that won't be an issue and you can leave everything as is.

If you go with your stroker now and drive it that way for a while, the only thing you'll be looking at down the line with a blower added is an upgraded fuel system and retune.

buddha93

Established Member
You can't go wrong with either one IMO.

Like someone else said, the blower/stroker combo has been done may times.

If you've got cash to start the project, there are plenty of great deals out there to be had. Lots of guys start a build and never finish it for various reasons. 90% of the parts on my car are brand new parts I bought off guys that lost interest (or funding) in their projects. You just have to be careful what your buying.

Stinger99

Established Member
buddha93

I have not got the cash in hand, thats why im making a plan on what to go with.

The only way I'll buy used parts is off this forum from a reputable guy or 1993cobra forum, again from a reputable guy.

The only reason i was going with the turbo is becasue a guy has a brand spanking new one for $1,800.

I want to go with option 4 is becasue i love the sound of that blower...

Option 2 is tried and true, but i was looking on vortechs website....They want almost $4,000 for the intercooler...Thats alot of coin.

Either set up i go with, I want it to be a one time thing.

Can anyone tell me the ups and down of each one.......kenny bell Vs Vortechs...

Like I said before, I'm looking for dependablity.

buddha93

Established Member
The KB's don't make the big HP numbers like the Vortechs, Paxtons, and the like, but they make up for it with instant boost and huge TQ numbers. They really give you that seat of the pants kick and are a blast to drive.

Vortech/Paxton/Procharger pretty much dominate the market, especially in the Foxes. You get a more liner power output with these blowers and not nearly as much TQ down low as the KB's, but they can put down the number's if you spin them hard enough.

Honestly, if your not looking to kill your wallet, I'd look at a nice stroker kit in a good prepped block and put a V3 on it pullied for about 10psi . You won't need a monster fuel system to support it and if the tune is rock solid, you can drive it all day long like that with no issues and a little preventive maintence. Past that your looking at high-dollar blocks, big expensive fuel systems, and just about everything else under the sun.

Stinger99

Established Member
Kevins89notch

budget, I really dont have a number for you. as long as the car is where i want it. I would say $15,000 not including the handling aspect of it. And even thats low i would think.

Car is bone stock right now.

Buddha
I was thinking of a prepped block with H/C/I and S/C but I am gonna go with the Dart, I would rather have more and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Stinger99

Established Member
Buddha
From what you are saying sounds like the KB is more for me...Torque down low. I mean, A H/C/I is more for high end torque....Im I right to say that.
So IF im right that combo would make a nice even torque curve thru out the power band? or am i blowing smoke out my butt....lol

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
The Kenne Bells suck. They are a modular blower and thats where they should stay. If you want one for the sound, I think you will be let down.

Id say 331 with the turbo. I was this close >< to scoring a sweet cartech kit for my cobra, but then I realized that I didnt want to take the kit on/off every 2 years for smog. If I didnt live in cali, I wouldnt think twice about which form of FI to use.

I ended up with the NOVI 1000, which IMO is the best looking unit under the hood, and can split the block. NOVI 2000 for you without a doubt.

buddha93

Established Member
15k t spend? Now I'm confused.........lol!

If your talking about that kind of jack, it opens up a lot of avenues. While I don't agree that the KB's "suck" for the Foxes, they aren't the same animal if your comparing them to what you see on the 03/04 Cobras and current Shelbys.

You really seem to like the idea of the twin screw under the hood, that much I can figure. You've also mentioned dependabilty. And lets not forget the TQ down low.So why not just go this route:

04 Mustang Cobra SVT 4.6L Supercharged Engine & Trans:eBay Motors (item 300337648640 end time Aug-17-09 13:45:32 PDT)

Plenty of guys have done it and you can find lots of information on the net on how to make the conversion. This would keep you well within your budget and let you make your suspension/brake upgrades too.

Just giving another option........assuming you hadn't already thought about it.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
While I don't agree that the KB's "suck" for the Foxes, they aren't the same animal if your comparing them to what you see on the 03/04 Cobras and current Shelbys.

its no fault of the foxes. the big inch windsor motors simply over power the lil 2.1 litre KB. its bad enough with the a 302 and now we are talking 331 ci? at that point your just blowing hot air, and good old Kenny doesnt even offer an intercooler! im sorry but they do suck. the baby NOVI has proven to produce more rwhp than the 2.1 and for half the price!

Stinger99

Established Member
Rydeon
I'm more confused now...Paxton, vortech, Pro charger I only really looked in to Vortech, Now I need to look into Paxton...

Buddha
I was comparing it to the 03-04 termy's....I thought about going that route but I really dont want to buy a used motor...You know right from the get those things are pounded on HARD. and it will always be on the back of my mind that if this thing blows.....IM SCREWED!!!!and out 5-6 grand.

I know I stand that same chance with a built motor but i still have a little more peace of mind.

With the $15,000 I think I will be cutting it close, And that's with buying some parts used...

What do you guys think. too much, not enough?

buddha93

Established Member
Well, let's face it if not for the 03' Cobra in the beginning, the Kenne Bell wouldn't be as strong as it is now. I've only seen a handful of them on the Foxes in the 20+ years I've been driving and modding these cars.

Any yep, the Novi 1k is pretty slick for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread