Help me Dx a noise.

orlo

Established Member
Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone can help me narrow down a noise I've been hearing in the cobra. The best way to describe the noise would be like a paper business card smacking back and forth over something. I only notice it when I'm driving close to a barrier or some other sound-reflective surface. The sounds get closer together the faster the car is moving. At low speeds, the noise occurs maybe 4-5 per second, and at high speeds it's about double that rate. The noise is constant regardless if I have my foot off the gas entirely or am going WOT. My initial thought was that something was caught near my wheels. I know that's probably not the case, but I'm a mechanical noob. The car runs absolutely fine other than this annoying noise. Any ideas?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
my guess was going to go to being time to replace the brake pads. do you hear the noise coming from the front of the car...or the rear? or both?

orlo

Established Member
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to check my tires in a little bit and see if there's anything on them. As far as the sound goes, I can't seem to isolate it between front or back. I also just had brand new rotors and pads installed last week (which are still squealing/grinding a bit when I hit the brakes :shrug:).

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
brand new rotors and pads that still grind and squeel? hmmm...

edit: any idea of about how many miles you have put on the new pads and rotors, by chance? maybe they just need broken in? also curious as to what brand of pads?

Last edited:

orlo

Established Member
The rotors and pads have about 200 miles on them. The squeal isn't loud, but definitely noticeable when the radio is off. I can't find the receipt so I'm not sure which ones they are, but they're cross-drilled slotted and were pretty pricey. I might call and see if they can take a look at them for me.

I took the car out again today and I noticed that the noise is there even if I disengage the clutch. It's also not dependent on rpms, only speed. So I'm thinking this might be coming from the tires, wheels, etc.

Finally, when I pulled the car back in the garage, I noticed a small puddle had formed directly under the flange between the headers and h-pipe. No clue if this is related to the noise.

Besides this, the car is running great despite the 30 degree temps we have in PA. Gotta love drag radials. I haven't owned the car during warm weather yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference it makes.

Users who are viewing this thread