Help me diagnose!

SVT_S5

Established Member
I’m having this weird problem all of a sudden, my AFR changed from 10-10.5 at idle to 12-13 and I have this weird tick noise coming from front tire fender/under car from the driver side.

Checked for leaks and had none AFAIK.

I poured one of these valve cleaners, the one you pour directly into the tank and problem started after 3-4 days (car wasn’t driven before and after pouring the additive. Not saying the main cause is the valve cleaner.)

MG0h3

Established Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok well the AFR was way rich originally, little better now.

14.7 is target in closed loop at operating temp.

I don’t hear anything mechanical on the videos. Exhaust note sounds a little funny but if you’re wideband is accurate, it shouldn’t be running right anyways.

No CEL?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVT_S5

Established Member
Ok well the AFR was way rich originally, little better now.

14.7 is target in closed loop at operating temp.

I don’t hear anything mechanical on the videos. Exhaust note sounds a little funny but if you’re wideband is accurate, it shouldn’t be running right anyways.

No CEL?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That’s a relief I guess.

Yeah exhaust note changed when AFR changed from 10 to current, I feel a bit of shaking inside the cabin and driver’s side engine shakes noticeably at idle.

Shaking disappears when revving to 1.5-2k (at idle), I have never driven since, too scared to screw something but eventually will drive it.

Regarding the wideband, tuner told me it needs a new sensor, dyno reading 11.5 on WOT and my gauge reads solid 10; new Bosch sensor on the way.

I’m 100% sure something is not right since I used that valve cleaner, maybe it’s just a coincidence I don’t really know.

No CEL or codes.

MG0h3

Established Member
Unfortunately the most common cause of a tapping sound that’s most noticeable at idle and when cold is a loose valve seat.

Re the wideband, hard to say if you need a new sensor. I mean it’s possible the car is actually just rich for some reason.

Should set a cel after awhile if the 02s are reading what the wideband is saying you’re at.

Pop the vacuum line of the fuel rail pressure sensor and see if there is fuel there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVT_S5

Established Member
Unfortunately the most common cause of a tapping sound that’s most noticeable at idle and when cold is a loose valve seat.

Re the wideband, hard to say if you need a new sensor. I mean it’s possible the car is actually just rich for some reason.

Should set a cel after awhile if the 02s are reading what the wideband is saying you’re at.

Pop the vacuum line of the fuel rail pressure sensor and see if there is fuel there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Will do.

SVT_S5

Established Member
What’s needed to be dropped to fix headers flange to head leak, also how long/hard is it?!

railroad

Established Member
Take a piece of rubber hose or similar hose and listen around headers.
With engine running and hopefully tapping, put one end of hose next to your ear and other end along headers.
It will be obvious when you find a leak.
Headers can be a pain or not to reseal. If you want to avoid gaskets, Permatex Ultra Copper can withstand the heat and seal the headers.
Nothing wrong with gaskets. I would used steel shimmed gaskets.
good luck,

Bullitt1448

Established Member
OEM gaskets are the best, might even still be available through Ford, I got mine last year at the local dealer

Roush6018

Established Member
hey i read the post and watched the videos. i think your ticking noise is not that bad. when i heard the exhaust sound i thought it sounds like you have a misfire at idle. i would guess you have a bad coil pack or 2. You said the engine is shaking and you dont want to even drive it, i dont think an exhaust leak would cause all that trouble. i recommmend Denso coil packs.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you have a misfire, probably why the mixture leaned out. Check plugs and check the injectors are firing.

SVT_S5

Established Member
hey i read the post and watched the videos. i think your ticking noise is not that bad. when i heard the exhaust sound i thought it sounds like you have a misfire at idle. i would guess you have a bad coil pack or 2. You said the engine is shaking and you dont want to even drive it, i dont think an exhaust leak would cause all that trouble. i recommmend Denso coil packs.

Hey Roush,

I’ll swap coils and see, good point!

Tick is audible but not on videos, I’ll try recording inside the cabin with some revs..

SVT_S5

Established Member
Sounds like you have a misfire, probably why the mixture leaned out. Check plugs and check the injectors are firing.

Plugs are 1 month old BUT I had a time-sert inserts done on 2 plugs 2 months ago, car ran fine until I poured this valve cleaner thingy to clean all the left overs from the time-sert.

Checked for tightness and they’re both tight.. Will visually inspect plugs and swap coils then report back in a couple of days.

01yellercobra

Established Member
So you poured a cleaner into the gas tank and then all the problems started? If so I would drain the gas and put some fresh stuff in first. And pull the plugs to make sure the cleaner didn't foul them.

Users who are viewing this thread