Help Me Diagnose My Leak(s) - Steering Rack w/ Pics

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Can some of you advanced mechanical guys take a quick look at these two pics and in particular the circled areas from which I believe I have some leaks.

The first pic is from underneath the front bumper looking towards the rear at the rack. Looks to me like something in the power steering system but I'm not 100%. The reason I say that is because the resevoir is at the 'min' line but I don't know if it's always been at that level. The second pic is looking at the right side of the rack with the passenger wheel and tire in the background. The boot is moist on the bottom so I don't know if there's a bad seal or what.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

DSCF1862.gif

DSCF1864.gif

Last edited:

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
I don't know man, the oil wouldn't leak in the center of the rack...right side under the filter? Yes...but not in the middle...and that's a Ford oil change for you!!

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Is that oil drip in your red circle motor oil or power steering fluid? Does the rack bellows on the drivers side feel full of fluid? It looks droopy and the rod looks wet.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
The oil appears to be the color and consistency of motor oil, it has no reddish tint to it. I'll have to check to see if that dust boot has fluid in it.

Yes my power steering fluid resevoir is down to the min line, I 'think' because of this leak.

Does anyone know what the nut in the center of the rack with the u shaped hard line coming out of it?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Does anyone know what the nut in the center of the rack with the u shaped hard line coming out of it?

A pressure line.

Do this. Buy a few cans of brake clean and hose the bejuzus out of the rack and near filter.

Don't stop till everthing that drips down is clear. Then report back.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
A pressure line.

Do this. Buy a few cans of brake clean and hose the bejuzus out of the rack and near filter.

Don't stop till everthing that drips down is clear. Then report back.

I will try this. I presume this is so that I can, in a few days/weeks, pinpoint where any potential leaks start from? Right now the whole center of the rack appears oily, so it's hard to figure.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I will try this. I presume this is so that I can, in a few days/weeks, pinpoint where any potential leaks start from? Right now the whole center of the rack appears oily, so it's hard to figure.

And only start the car and turn the wheel w/o driving,so the air/wind doesn`t blow the fluid all over.

Jefe

Established Member

Sorry to bump this but you definitely have a leak coming from the drivers side boot, you can see how bunched up it is because of all the fluid in it. Squeeze that tube and see if any comes out or if you can hear a suction noise. Unless you can find someone to replace the seals cheap, youre going to need a new rack. My old thread should be all you need to do it yourself and save you a lot of money:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-modifications-211/568447-steering-rack-leak.html

Users who are viewing this thread