Help me choose... Lightning or Cobra

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
It comes down to how fast you wanna go.
For the most part if you wanna go faster than mid 12s on the truck you need to go built. I have spent a lot of money on my truck but I have loved Gen II Lightnings since the release. The Cobra just needs basic bolt ons, tune and you are pretty much good to go and will already be in the 11's. Put a KB or Whipple you can hit 10s. I saw that you typed low 13 to high 12 but once you start racing you will want to go faster.

Last edited:

siLversLeigh

Established Member
I traded my whippled 04 L in for an 03 cobra. I had to have a stick. 1 year later I now honestly wished I would've kept the Lightning.

BTW my L put down 476/531.
I don't know what the car puts down but it's a typical pullied cobra.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I have both. I have an 01 lightning and had an 01 cobra with a built motor and eaton swapped. It is a lot cheaper to make the 03-04 cobra that fast. It costs a lot to make a solid 12 sec lightning. (Just look at the wieght difference and the aerodynamics) Plus, anything close to 500 HP on stock lightning bottom end is pushing it. 03-04 cobra are putting down 700-800 HP on stock bottom end. If you want a awsome truck that is good looking and as fast as a mustang GT, get the lightning. If you want fast, 03-04 cobra. Get a GT500, they are an awsome car. Thats what i recommend. 20K is a nice down payment on 07-09 GT500. Just my $.02.

It doesn't cost a lot to make a 12 second Lightning. I ran consistent mid 12's with bolt ons and a converter. I also went on to run 11.40's on the stock motor with a Whipple swap. These trucks can run with minimal mods despite their weight.

L1ghtning

2001 ford lightning
Established Member
I would like to see videos of your 12 sec lightning. Not saying it isnt possible but a low 12 sec lightning is more expensive than a 11.5 sec terminator. My stock lightning ran 14.1 in the quarter. Shave 2.0 sec off..... Expensive. Just look at the HP to weight ratio. Lightning: 4670 LBS Terminator: 3665. You decide

Users who are viewing this thread