Help me choose... Lightning or Cobra

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
So i got rid of my 97 cobra a lil while ago, and ever since then ive been kicking myself in the ass for it. Im going to have $20k coming my way in about 6 months and was thinking of getting a 03+ cobra or 01+ lightning. I want basically a low 13 second or maybie 12 daily driver. What do you guys think i should get. Right now im driving a lifted explorer.:shrug:

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Lightning if you need a truck..Cobra to replace ur cobra. Slap a KB or Whipple on the Cobra and you are good to go. No need to worry about breaking rods.

shamrock216

Established Member
Ive always had trucks (2 of them Lightnings) so when I went to this Mustang I have now I started to not like it after a few months, that's just me! Id say since you've had a Cobra before, get another!!

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Yeah its a hard decision, yeah the cobra has a better motor for sure. I sprayed a 175 shot on my stock 160k mile motor before i sold it with no problems, just a tranny swap. lol

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
a lightning will run that time with only a few mods... a stock 03 will run a flat 13 or better all day long straight from the showroom floor... if thats all you want in 1/4 mile times... decide if you want a car or truck first!

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
Well you already have a pretty big car , I would say the Cobra would be your best bet unless you need to pull stuff or haul big stuff with a truck , I would love to have a lightning though!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
They both wear an SVT badge and they're both factory supercharged, but they're 2 totally different animals. Either will run the times you want without breaking a sweat, so it basically comes down to: do you want a car or truck?

I sold my Saleen to pick up a new DSG Cobra, but I ended up driving home in my Lightning. I've had plenty of Mustangs, Camaros, etc. but I just love trucks. I love the room, the higher seating/driving position and view of the road, not having to wear my left leg out sitting in traffic, and the utility of a truck comes in handy too. Besides, the look on people's faces when you show them the tailgate in a race is priceless.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
They both wear an SVT badge and they're both factory supercharged, but they're 2 totally different animals. Either will run the times you want without breaking a sweat, so it basically comes down to: do you want a car or truck?

I sold my Saleen to pick up a new DSG Cobra, but I ended up driving home in my Lightning. I've had plenty of Mustangs, Camaros, etc. but I just love trucks. I love the room, the higher seating/driving position and view of the road, not having to wear my left leg out sitting in traffic, and the utility of a truck comes in handy too. Besides, the look on people's faces when you show them the tailgate in a race is priceless.

This, I loved my mustang and will most likely get into a GT500 unless they make the next-Gen L, but I'd drive a L over an 03/04 cobra any day.

drex

Off The Line
Established Member
I have rode in a few Cobra's in my time but never owned yet. They are a blast. I have owned two gt stangs that were fun, but the Lightning I had was the most fun. I really dont think you can go wrong either way IMO.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Depending on how horrible your commute is, the Lightning would definitely be more daily driver friendly. More room and the automatic would be effortless in traffic heavy commutes. As for my personal opinion I would go Cobra for sure. I had an 02 L and it was an awesome truck and I miss it very much. But the Terminator as mentioned is just a total different kind of nasty. But I wouldnt be dd'ing it either. I have a beater Ranger for that :)

rudyyr

Established Member
I had the option of getting either..I decided for the lightning..I daily drive and the Lightning seemed to be more comfortable for me at least..also the benefit of being able to put stuff in the bed is big plus for me.

good luck

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
hmmm some good points made, i guess im looking more for a car then. Most likely a cobra then. Well see soon. Ive changed my mind so many times.

L1ghtning

2001 ford lightning
Established Member
I have both. I have an 01 lightning and had an 01 cobra with a built motor and eaton swapped. It is a lot cheaper to make the 03-04 cobra that fast. It costs a lot to make a solid 12 sec lightning. (Just look at the wieght difference and the aerodynamics) Plus, anything close to 500 HP on stock lightning bottom end is pushing it. 03-04 cobra are putting down 700-800 HP on stock bottom end. If you want a awsome truck that is good looking and as fast as a mustang GT, get the lightning. If you want fast, 03-04 cobra. Get a GT500, they are an awsome car. Thats what i recommend. 20K is a nice down payment on 07-09 GT500. Just my $.02.

Users who are viewing this thread