Help me choose a new touring vehicle

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
If you lower your highway mileage requirements to 19/20 a Lexus GX460 is pretty nice (we have one). The GX460 is all time 4WD and is the same vehicle as a land cruiser Prado overseas.
I would lower my gas mileage requirements for the right vehicle. I'll look into the Lexus. Thanks!

Your MPG wishes may go out the window with this one, but the absolute best road trip vehicle I know of is an F-150 Raptor.
Okay Sid... I never thought someone would suggest a Raptor! I should have figured as much coming from you. While I like the Raptor, the wife is not a big fan of trucks. If it were just me, this would be on my short list. Thanks!

Many many vacation trips out West. Found that any crewcab pickup is by far the most comfortable mileage devouring combo.
Like I told Sid, the wife just isn't into trucks. I will admit though, a truck would definitely be able to haul all of her necessities and then some! Thanks.

Not gonna lie, the new Camry is nice and gets good gas mileage.
Great suggestion. Comfy, inexpensive, good gas mileage, I will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Restomod a Jeep Grand Wagoneer with a modern Mopar driveline and electronics.
While that sounds great and I love the Wagoneers, I think I would rather have something with a warranty that I can get serviced on the road if necessary. Thanks.

These are really cool vehicles. Not the most sexy looking vehicle on the road mind you, but very practical. A little out of my price range though. Thanks.

Macan GTS (the GTS is the old Turbo model) might be a little higher than you want spend, but it would get you speed, great handling, comfortable, and my wife's Turbo gets 28 mpg.
Like the Benz above the Macan is a bit out of my price range. I do like the Porsche SUV's for sure. Thanks.

That will get you a base model with base level work truck comfort for $70k. Those things are crazy expensive. Built out you are looking at $125k minimum.
Agreed!

I've seen a few of these on the road occupied by what looked like serious travelers. I really envy those who can do it.
Oh absolutely, but Uncle Meat is loaded.
Definitely not loaded! :LOL:

I prefer sedans over SUVs and picked up a Lexus ES-350 a few months ago.
This is another great option I need to do some more research on. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have a customer that just bought the s model. These are nice!View attachment 1824042
As stated previously, love the Porsche SUV's, just a bit too much, Thanks.

The New Explorer Timberlines are nice.
Another good choice. Equipped with the V6 Ecoboost it ticks most all of the boxes. My wife's Mustang Ecoboost still runs great and it has 88,000 on the odometer. Another model to consider. Thanks.

Purchased a new Jeep wagoneer for my wife last year.
As stated previously I do like the Wagoneers. I need to spec one out and see where it falls as far as price. Thanks.

Honestly, we love our Expedition.
The Expedition is just too big for the two of us. It's a great vehicle for a large family and rides very nice. Just a bit too much for what we are looking for. Thanks.

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not gonna lie, the new Camry is nice and gets good gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
My wife is going to buy a 2024 Camry in June/July. Probably an XSE (4 cyl.) with AWD. I'd prefer the V6. The Camry is one hell of a car, but the trunk is not huge by any stretch. Sounds like Uncle Meat is looking for either a big trunk or an SUV.

There are a number of excellent SUVs. I owned a 2022 Genesis GV70. That is an awesome luxury SUV priced right. A huge bang for the buck. I highly recommend that you test drive one, U.M. The GV80 is a little bigger, but IMO the GV70 is the best. If you test drive the GV70, I recommend the 3.5T AWD Sport Prestige package with 375hp. It's the top dog. Sticker is around $69K. The standard engine is the 300hp 2.5T AWD, which is about $10K less.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Durango, MDX, Explorer, Telluride, Palisade, Tahoe.
any awd version of those would be on my short list.

Hak5.0

Established Member
Your MPG wishes may go out the window with this one, but the absolute best road trip vehicle I know of is an F-150 Raptor. Decent power (especially with a tuned EB) , plenty of room, the best ride out there, and the ability to go pretty much any where you want. For a smaller scale version look at the Ranger Raptor.
100% the raptor was the best road trip vehicle, miss my 2013..and the 36 gallon tank took me from jersey to lockport, ny/niagra falls in one shot with plenty to spare cause i don't like stops...even drove thru a winter storm from Connecticut, when everyone was doing 30 with blinkers in the right lanes, i was comfortable going 60 down i95 and it didn't flinch

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm looking to place an order this week.
5 year / 60K - bumper to bumper
10 year / 100K - power train

2024 Telluride SX Prestige X-Pro

Price Breakdown
$55,240 MSRP*
SX Prestige X-Pro Trim
$53,185
Jungle Green
$0
Black Nappa Leather Seat Trim
$0
Side Step Bars, Black
$690
Destination
$1,365

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I ordered a loaded '98 Windstar from AAFES just before I left Okinawa and had it delivered to Guam where we transferred to after Okinawa. Drove it for 2 years while on Guam and then had Uncle Sam ship it to Alabama. We drove it for another three years. It was actually a very versatile vehicle and both the wife & I loved it right up until it cleared 60 months and 55,000 miles and then the head gasket went south. Ford refused to help me even though the 3.8L V6 was known to have an issue with the head gaskets. :mad: I ended up trading it in and buying a brand new 2002 Mustang GT. What a POS that car was! I didn't own the GT for more than 6 months before I traded it in on a brand new '03 Cobra. :p This was right around the timeframe I retired from the military and wanted to treat myself and my wife to new vehicles. She got an '02 Kia Rio I got an '03 Cobra.

While I like the capacity a minivan offers I admit I hadn't given much thought on purchasing another one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sounds like Uncle Meat is looking for either a big trunk or an SUV.

There are a number of excellent SUVs. I owned a 2022 Genesis GV70. That is an awesome luxury SUV priced right. A huge bang for the buck. I highly recommend that you test drive one, U.M. The GV80 is a little bigger, but IMO the GV70 is the best. If you test drive the GV70, I recommend the 3.5T AWD Sport Prestige package with 375hp. It's the top dog. Sticker is around $69K. The standard engine is the 300hp 2.5T AWD, which is about $10K less.
Yes sir! I need ample storage to support my wife's obsession of packing anything & everything if we leave the house for more than 24 hours. She's like a freakin' boy scout "Be Prepared"!

I need to take a serious look at the Genesis vehicles. For some reason I don't see many of them on the road or around here, either that or I just don't notice them. We have a dealer in Montgomery which currently has a bunch in stock. Maybe take the wife for a ride in the Vette today, get her some Starbucks and then head to the dealerships. Thanks Bob!

Durango, MDX, Explorer, Telluride, Palisade, Tahoe.
any awd version of those would be on my short list.
MDX, Explorer, Telluride, & Palisade are all potential purchases. Thanks.

100% the raptor was the best road trip vehicle.
As stated previously... the wife just isn't a "Truck" gal. While I personally would enjoy piloting a Raptor around the country my wife just wouldn't be happy in a truck. You know what they say... happy wife, happy life. :ROFLMAO:

Okay let's talk about Kia for a second. As stated above I bought my wife a 2002 Kia Rio for her to use to run errands and get back & forth to work. She absolutely hated that car. Now I have to admit in 2002 Kio was just getting their feet wet in the US car market and I was able to get a brand new base model Rio for just under $10K. The car was a real dog and had trouble getting out of it's own way. Wheel bearings went out in it at least a half-dozen times and the transmission had to be replaced at 40K miles. If there's one thing my wife DOES NOT LIKE, it's getting stranded alone in her car and it happened more than once with her Rio. However, we drove that Kia into the ground! I eventually sold it to a kid for $500 and it had 105K on the odometer at the time. Kia has really come a long way since '02 and they have some fantastic vehicles in their lineup these days. However my wife has a bad taste in her mouth from her experience with the Rio and she would never go for another one.

So it looks like I have a pretty decent list of cars to go look at with the wife. Since the dealerships are all closed today we'll do some window shopping at a few different lots. I have Monday off so we'll hit them up again when they're open and do a few test drives. Thanks for all the suggestions SVTPerf!

U.M.

mammothcar1

Established Member
Have you looked at the Toyota 4Runner?
If you go up the model range, the 4Runner gets Toyota's KDSS suspension system and SofTex type 'leather' on the seats which are quite comfortable esp in the winter and summer. The 4Runner Limited edition offers real leather and some other upgrades.
The Lexus GX460 is built on the the same platform as the 4Runner.
I'm 6'4'' with plenty of headroom.
I test drove the Tacoma thinking the interior fit would be similar but it's not. The Tacoma is very cramped with a completely different seating position.
Congratulation on punching out early!

MG0h3

Established Member
If you had kids, I’d recommended the minivan 100%.

Just rented one for a Rocky Point trip and needed a third row as there were five of us.

Rental car companies won’t let you take an suv to Mex due to car jackings as SUVs are targeted.

I was bummed until I jumped in and drove it. Captains seats front and second row. Bench 3rd row. Leather. Quite quick for what it is. Hums along on the freeway at 100mph like nothing. Electric ports everywhere and I could plug my electric cooler into the back as it had a built in inverter.

Some poor soul in a newer Ram tried to race me to get in front of a semi and I beat him. Looked down and I was coming down from 110 lol.

Good luck on the search and congratulations on punching out!

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I'm looking to place an order this week.
5 year / 60K - bumper to bumper
10 year / 100K - power train

Price Breakdown
$55,240 MSRP*
SX Prestige X-Pro Trim
$53,185
Jungle Green
$0
Black Nappa Leather Seat Trim
$0
Side Step Bars, Black
$690
Destination
$1,365
Couldn't give me one of them.

No offense.

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Almost forgot, Mazda CX-90, looked at those hard before I bought my wife a Lincoln Nautilus. You can get in gas or hybrid and they have a bunch of trim and seat layouts. Reviews have been very good on them and great horsepower.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
If you had kids, I’d recommended the minivan 100%.

Just rented one for a Rocky Point trip and needed a third row as there were five of us.

Rental car companies won’t let you take an suv to Mex due to car jackings as SUVs are targeted.

I was bummed until I jumped in and drove it. Captains seats front and second row. Bench 3rd row. Leather. Quite quick for what it is. Hums along on the freeway at 100mph like nothing. Electric ports everywhere and I could plug my electric cooler into the back as it had a built in inverter.

Some poor soul in a newer Ram tried to race me to get in front of a semi and I beat him. Looked down and I was coming down from 110 lol.

Good luck on the search and congratulations on punching out!

^this too!
Over the past 8 years we've rented several for long trips. They are excellent and a low key way to travel.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Not sure if the OP bought anything or not ?
Update to my 7 Jan. 2024 post........................picked it up 04/08/2024..

snakecharmer

Established Member
I just did a 1200 mile road trip in my Lexus IS500. Totally comfortable, 25-27MPG, and plenty of power when you need it. Couple with that Lexus reputation for reliability, I think it is perfect and way more maneuverable than an SUV for road trips.

Users who are viewing this thread