Help me buy a car

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
I thought I'd turn to my SVTP brothers for help in purchasing my new car. My CTS-V was totaled and my "generous" insurance company is cutting me a check for approx 24k after the deductible. I want something in the 26-33k range; I might go to 35.5k for the right ride. I would like something with good fit and finish and that would be comfortable on long rides as I make many of them Also, something that gets around town and parks in tighter spaces would be nice. I would like it to be relatively powerful, but I don't need anything like another Cobra.

What I've been looking at: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, MKVI GTI, Genesis Coupe 3.0 Track, 2010 Altima 3.5 sr coupe, and a local dealer has an unsold MKV R32 that they are letting go for fairly cheap.

Any thoughts on these cars or any I've missed? I appreciate the help fellas. I have been driving my Duramax since the caddy was destroyed and will be keeping it, but I can't stand daily driving it especially on the 150 mile trips to Tuscaloosa and the long rides to Kiawah Island.

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member
at 30k, you better be looking at luxury imports.......

instead you are looking at 20k sport cars......

as long as it isnt a lame sho\focus\american crap lol

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
at 30k, you better be looking at luxury imports.......

instead you are looking at 20k sport cars......

as long as it isnt a lame sho\focus\american crap lol

I've been pricing the cars and they aren't exactly 20k rides. The Mazda is the cheapest at approx. 26.5, the VW with the options I like is going to be around 31, the R32 is obviously below invoice at around 29, the Genesis is around 31, and the Altima with options is around 33. I like in-dash navigation and the creature comforts which I thought would be hard to get at this price point in the lux brands. I am open to some suggestions so fire away. As I said, I would really like to stay at or below 33k, but may go a little above if something hooked me.

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
I will be buying a new car. I really would like to stay away from the used stuff. You're right T-Bolt, those cars look bad ass, but I would have to get one with 40,000+ miles to meet my budget.

Jroc

Established Member
There were these Mustang Cobras that were made in 03/04 that were pretty cool. People like to call them terminators.(some call them Terms, Termi's, Termy's, Termies, etc) :read:

You could test drive one of them and see how you like it. :idea:

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
There were these Mustang Cobras that were made in 03/04 that were pretty cool. People like to call them terminators.(some call them Terms, Termi's, Termy's, Termies, etc) :read:

You could test drive one of them and see how you like it. :idea:

If you read what he wrote in his first post, is that he doesn't want another cobra....:nono:

Sarge_13

Established Member
Since you mentioned the MS3 and GTi, how about the Cobalt SS? Cheaper than both, handles better than either one, and is right on par with the Mazdaspeed in the straights.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i would buy a used beater for the winter(you should be able to sell it for what you bought in for 6 months later), then get the new 400hp mustang gt in april!

in my opinion all those cars you mentioned will be downgrades from your v!

i would reconsider used cars...
gt500 for 35
03/04 svt mustang
another v
e55(06 30k for $30.5k)http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=&max_price=35000&cardist=1792&standard=false
m3 e46

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I will be buying a new car. I really would like to stay away from the used stuff. You're right T-Bolt, those cars look bad ass, but I would have to get one with 40,000+ miles to meet my budget.

Get a Certified Pre-Owned one with the 100k warranty then. You'll pay more, but the warranty has you set. Drive one and you'll be hooked, guaranteed.

Edit: Just reading the above, I'd recommend against the M3. As a Bimmer owner, I can tell you that the E will ride so much better on the highway it's not even funny.

Last edited:

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
then get a new mini...:thumbsup:

I hadn't given Mini's much thought until you said that. I have been reading reviews and they all seem to be glowing. Looks like I can get into a nicely appointed Mini S for right in the middle of my budget. I will test drive one soon. I just hope they are roomy for their size. It surprised me how much room I had in the GTI and R32; I'm not the biggest guy (6'1 190lbs) but the size scared me.

Since you mentioned the MS3 and GTi, how about the Cobalt SS? Cheaper than both, handles better than either one, and is right on par with the Mazdaspeed in the straights.

I actually looked at a Cobalt SS and did not like it. Performance wise it was just as you described, but the interior didn't sit well with me. Plus, navigation is not available.

in my opinion all those cars you mentioned will be downgrades from your v!

Probably. I did like the car, but I want to go a different direction this time. I'm sure I could get into something more along the lines of the V in the price range; however, I really don't want to buy used.

Users who are viewing this thread