Help me beat the slack!!

quik6

SVT powered at last
Established Member
Yeah, I just hate the clunking sound but apparently its pretty common. Guess you just have to deal with it.

95PGTTech

Established Member
mine (98 cobra, solid rear, 3.73's) clunks when putting the stick in first when the car is not even moving. I have brand new poly motor and transmission mounts.

the rear whines the slightest bit and I've wanted 4.10s for awhile, so that and an aluminum d/s will probably be the next move. the transmission grinds when I try to shift quickly into 5th, and i was thinking it was a clutch not engaging issue. but my pedal engages right off the top...

when i recently did my rear springs I noticed the stock lower control arm bushings in the rear were pretty well worn, so those will go too. too many variables for me at this point but i can tell you poly motor mounts and transmission mount from energy suspension did not help.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I just bought a new 01 vert, BreBar's twin. What does NVH mean? I'm new to all of this. The clunk is killing me. Its only when I go into first that I really have a problem with it. Sometimes if I don't match the rpm's within reason.

Also, would anyone mind posting links to some kits to solidly mount my differential.

Thanks

Edit, which of these would you guys recommend?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...=product_info&cPath=21_88_194&products_id=485

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...=product_info&cPath=21_88_194&products_id=484

Is the 250 dollar kit worth the extra money?

NVH is noise, vibration, and harshness. You're removing rubber that absorbs and replacing it with aluminum that amplifies. It isn't as bad as it seems, though.

IMO, the urethane ones are not worth it at all. They are too much like the stockers. I have the aluminum kit, the second link, in my car. They are extremely nice and bordering on over engineered. I have no clunk and it allows you to dial in your pinion angle. If you poke around The Market, a guy on here, ac427cobra, sells a set that is aluminum front and delrin rear. I'm sure they work just as well. I think they might be cheaper too. Bruce (ac427cobra) and MM are really your only choices to do it right.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I have had an 82 GT, a 95 GT, a 03 Cobra and my 01 Cobra.....ALL have had a clunk in the driveline. I'm not sure what Ford does (or doesn't) do with these cars, but it is not just an issue with the 99/01 Cobras....

Users who are viewing this thread