Help me beat the slack!!

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Recently, I have been thinking about the drivetrain slack in my 01 cobra and i need a good plan that can effectively eliminate most of it... No i'm not going to a solid rear... I just really want to stiffen up the whole setup so i don't get a clunk everytime I shift. I know I have read stuff on here about drivetrain slack and how to treat it but if you guys would be so kind as to reiterate or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks :beer:

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Yes I do 3.73's... They were in there when i purchased the vehicle.. So i don't know what brand or anything.. I know that they are 3.73's because of a gear calcuator cuz the previous owner never used a speedcal and i deduced that from the accutal MPH and the Given MPH at a givien RPM in 5th gear.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Solidly mount your differential. MM makes a very nice full aluminum set. There is a guy one here that sells the aluminum/delrin combo as well. Expect an increase in NVH with either kit, but that'll fix the clunk.

djtech

Established Member
When I put the first aluminum flywheel on my car the clunk went away. You could also do a better job at rev matching the gears when you shift ;)

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
When I put the first aluminum flywheel on my car the clunk went away. You could also do a better job at rev matching the gears when you shift ;)

The funny thing is that it will clunk even if the car is not moving like a downshift at a stoplight. Or when you start it up in the mornin and put it into first. It's really weird too when you put the car in reverse, you go back a little bit and then you clutch.. the drivetrain gets this really freaky sloppy vibration and it just sounds plain wierd.

Will lightening up on the rotating mass acctually decrease the clunk and slop or could it worsen it? It seems like a lower rotating mass would be more prone to shake and be thrown around because of the lack of sheer weight... But i dunno you could be right...

I'll have to look into the MM set Thanks guys. Anything esle is greatly appreicated.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Recently, I have been thinking about the drivetrain slack in my 01 cobra and i need a good plan that can effectively eliminate most of it... No i'm not going to a solid rear... I just really want to stiffen up the whole setup so i don't get a clunk everytime I shift. I know I have read stuff on here about drivetrain slack and how to treat it but if you guys would be so kind as to reiterate or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks :beer:

you may also want to look into a new tranny/motor mounts....i replaced my stock ones with the polyurethene ones and the sloppiness and clunk has basically disappeared. I can't remember the last time I heard it. Even the dreaded "clunk" into 5th on the highway is gone. The more solid mounts help to deliver the power from the motor to the rear end in more of a straight line, reducing the side to side movement of the motor and tranny....

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Thanks venom that makes a lot of sense and i never even thought about that.... This is why the SVTP family on here is great..

Thanks guys i'll be looking into that

djtech

Established Member
The funny thing is that it will clunk even if the car is not moving like a downshift at a stoplight. Or when you start it up in the mornin and put it into first. It's really weird too when you put the car in reverse, you go back a little bit and then you clutch.. the drivetrain gets this really freaky sloppy vibration and it just sounds plain wierd.

Will lightening up on the rotating mass acctually decrease the clunk and slop or could it worsen it? It seems like a lower rotating mass would be more prone to shake and be thrown around because of the lack of sheer weight... But i dunno you could be right...

I'll have to look into the MM set Thanks guys. Anything esle is greatly appreicated.

I know what you mean, I had the exact same clunk and spent countless hours trying to figure out what the cause was. I finally came to the conclusion it is normal and to just live with it or turn the radio up.

The clunk in my car went away when I had a t56/flywheel/clutch and new driveshaft installed. I had my t45 rebuilt under warranty and it still did it afterwards... I had my rear clutch packs replaced under warranty, still did it afterwards...

Had the t56/flywheel/clutch/driveshaft installed and it was gone. Same stock 3.27 gears (IIRC 1st when to 65MPH) so I don't believe the backlash was the only factor. I think the biggest difference was the aluminum flywheel, when I mismatch the RPMs when shifting it can easily change the speed of the motor to match.

With that said, I don't see how lightening things up would make the clunk worse. If you perfectly match the RPMs while moving you won't get a clunk

TheBocSez

Professional leash Holder
Established Member
Curious if you ever got this resolved or reduced. Having the same issue with my 00 GT with an 01 IRS. Thanks.

tbizzle

Established Member
Curious if you ever got this resolved or reduced. Having the same issue with my 00 GT with an 01 IRS. Thanks.

same here. i have that same vibe thing when putting it in reverse. kind of annoying. just curious if any of the wonderful advice that the SVTP family has to offer helped

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Solidly mount your differential. MM makes a very nice full aluminum set. There is a guy one here that sells the aluminum/delrin combo as well. Expect an increase in NVH with either kit, but that'll fix the clunk.

:read:

automart

Established Member
I was going to post a thread asking what to do about the clunking in our 03 Cobra. I quess it's just one of those things. the more I drive the car the better I get but the clunk is there if I don't shift just right. I'm going to try the new mounts, hopefully it will improve.
Happy New year!

Ronnie

quik6

SVT powered at last
Established Member
I just bought a new 01 vert, BreBar's twin. What does NVH mean? I'm new to all of this. The clunk is killing me. Its only when I go into first that I really have a problem with it. Sometimes if I don't match the rpm's within reason.

Also, would anyone mind posting links to some kits to solidly mount my differential.

Thanks

Edit, which of these would you guys recommend?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...=product_info&cPath=21_88_194&products_id=485

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...=product_info&cPath=21_88_194&products_id=484

Is the 250 dollar kit worth the extra money?

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Sadly, clunking is pretty normal in stock New Edge Cobras. A lot of rubber bushings, potential alignment issues and an IRS. Mine clunked from day-one...both on poorly rev matched shifting and going into first at a stop light. If you're conscious about rev-matching (it becomes real natural after awhile) and ignore the stop light thing it's not an issue. Hardly notice it any more. Of course, I can't imagine what the drivetrain is going through when I powershift and leave a patch...probably would'nt want to see a video of it. I'm sure all the recommended fixes above will only improve the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread